Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My first lessons learned

Old 07-17-2008, 08:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first lessons learned

So funny thing happened to me last Saturday... I got off work and decided I was going to get my JK washed and then finally take both tops off to enjoy the summer sun. I learned 2 valuable lessons that day.

Lesson 1 included trying to figure out how to take the hard top off without assistance. A few fingertip burns from a sun heated hard top and some body scratches later, I finally got my top off and removed the soft top as well. I read the forums on the subject after the fact and let's just say I'll be building a ratchet strap hoist in my garage very soon to put the top back on for fall. Lesson learned? Look before you leap.

Lesson 2 and by far the most important lesson learned that day, happened on my way to the movies that night. As I'm driving northbound towards the Azusa canyons to the local AMC. I look up at the horizon and see a flash... and then another flash... and I said to my self great... there are those thunderstorms I heard about on the forums that were forcasted to be sweeping by. I chose to ignore the fact that they were so close and only hoped for the best that they would keep traveling east an away from the uncovered theater parking lot.

As I was leaving the theater from Hellboy 2, before I even reached the doors to go outside I could already see wet cement and yellow safety signs from the theater. So great, now I'm the only idiot in the entire parking lot with his top off and an ENTIRELY wet interior . I made the most of a bad situation, non-chalantly rolled my windows down, sat in my wet seats and continued home with my head up and laughing to myself. Long story short, thank God the next day was sunny so that my seats could dry out. None of my electrics were soaked thank goodness and I made sure to dry out my water filled cup holders as well . Lesson learned? The weather channel is your friend and it's never too late to turn back and park at a theater with a cement parking structure hehe.

btw, that following Monday I bought the Best Top trail cover from the Compton 4 wheel parts store. That place and their wherehouse is just eye candy galore. Gives me the mod twitch just thinkin about that place hehe Oh and sorry, no PICS of a wet interior =( I didn't have a camera handy.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:45 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL!! great story clearly you are a true jeeper
Old 07-17-2008, 08:56 PM
JK Newbie

Thanx hehe, oh hey WOL thanx again for the info on the drivelines I think when I do get the lift I'll just change em anyway. Oh and I ordered my stickers this weekend too, did you guys get my order?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:09 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Stryfe
Thanx hehe, oh hey WOL thanx again for the info on the drivelines I think when I do get the lift I'll just change em anyway. Oh and I ordered my stickers this weekend too, did you guys get my order?
my pleasure and i'm sure we got the order. unfortunately, i might not be able to ship them until after next week as we are waiting on a new batch to come in and hope you can be patient.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:23 PM
JK Newbie

no prob, i wanted to buy the project-jk stickers too but they were only available in black, I need silver for my rig hehe. I'll just check the store later.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:22 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah I haven't had time to actually sit down and attempt to put the soft top up. I figure by the time I need a top again it'll be December. I did peruse the manual though and it seemed a little daunting but not terribly, so I'm sure I'm going to give it a shot eventually. I'm really stoked though at wanting to setup garage hoist thingy for my hardtop hehe.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Glad it all worked out, that's why I always keep my soft top at least folded away in the back. I can always throw it up real quick if the thunderstorms show.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:52 PM
JK Super Freak

We got the dual tops with our Rubi. I thought about taking the hard top off a few times but the weather is so unpredictable here that I'm afraid I would have to carry a snow shovel in case it stormed. I'm thinking I may never put the soft top on. Oh well, I'm happy with the Freedom Top. I used it last week and was happy to have it with me to close when a thunder storm rolled in and cold wind with it.
I enjoyed your story, thanks!
Old 07-18-2008, 10:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great story.

Hey Wego4x4! If you're doing it right, it's totally easy. My top goes up or down in less than 5 minutes easily. The secret is the sequence. With the softy sitting folded in the rear, to bring it up:

1) Make sure the cross bar (it's the one that when completed, the soft top velcro's around it; it's the bar that's perpendicular to the others, like the middle part of an "H") is facing forward and keep it forward as you bring the top up and it can rest across the top of the jeep.
2) Once the top's sitting on top of the Jeep, ensure the cross bar ends are sitting above the soft top latches.
3) Then you do the front latches by the visors
4) Next comes the latches by the cross bar
5) Then you tuck in the soft top into the body starting from front to back.
6) You do the rear part that tucks into the back sides of the Jeep last. Stand on the bumper, bare weight onto the top of that bar to let the rear of the soft top hang lower, then with one hand tuck the edge of that hanging piece into the middle of the corner and then slide it into place. Hard to imagine probably w/o pictures.

But try this sequence and I guarantee after a few times it'll be a total piece of cake. The trick really lies in the first 4 steps. I originally had the hard top but traded it for the soft top. I hated the hard top. I like to go convertible knowing that if I stay out late some where cold like The City, I can just pop up the top and be warm on the way home.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:21 AM
JK Newbie

I like to go convertible knowing that if I stay out late some where cold like The City, I can just pop up the top and be warm on the way home.
Hehe, I just kick on the heater and roll up the windows. The whole soft top thing still seems pretty extensive but as you said, do it enough times and it's cake. So I'll give it a shot on my day off or something.

Quick Reply: My first lessons learned