Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My experience buying a jeep

Old 02-26-2009, 12:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd recommend doing a majority of it online - via email. Use the Jeep site to track down the general model/accessories you want and narrow it down to a couple dealers in your area. Jeeps on the lot have more flexibility in pricing.

Start lower then you think is possible, especially in this economy and also because they will start higher.

KBB is your friend & good point of reference.

Don't be afriad to ask for more then you think is possible. You never know if you don't ask.

Don't be afraid to walk away or play hard to get. It works for women, right?

Give yourself more time...Don't seem anxious or rushed.

& its good to play dealers vs. other dealers.... remember you're in control. Especially since you have actual $!

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you want the person I worked with in Central Jersey.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:00 PM
JK Newbie

I am surprised at how much good advice everyone has given me. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2009, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After you "build" your Wrangler on Jeep's web site go to search inventory and check what dealers have the vehicle that best matches what you want. Pick as many vehicles as you can and email the dealers to see if they have them available. Some will reply with a general email saying they have the best inventory, prices, etc (don't pay attention to these ones), but others will actually confirm they have the vehicle in stock and actually quote you online. Then go visit the ones that have the vehicle in stock (print the window sticker from Jeep's web site before going to the dealer) and request a test drive on the one you want. Spend as much time as you can with the salesman (this way he will invest a lot of time on you and be more motivated to make a sell), then start the low balling, etc. Let them know that you want to buy and are ready to buy, but don't "need" to buy unless you get the right deal. Show them interest but don't let them know that you're dying to buy the vehicle. Have the salesman talk to the manager as many times as needed. Don't talk to the financing people or let them run your credit until you have agreed on a price "out-the-door". Insist on knowing the out-the-door so you won't find out about "fees" when you talk with the financing guy.

This weekend is perfect for buying since it's the end of the month and salesmen and managers are thinking on how many cars they will sell by the end of the month.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm having fun right now with the buying process. My local dealer gave me a quote for the Employee price ++, and included a "$499 mandatory Chrysler Employee Purchase Program Participation Fee." I called bullshit, knowing it didn't exist, and then explained to the salesman and his manager that I felt their ethics were in question, and that when making significant purchases, I prefer to work with true professionals. They call or e-mail me every day trying to get me back in, and I keep giving them lectures on the importance of being a good and decent person in everything one does, repeating all the old stuff my grandpa taught me growing up on the farm. They are out of the running as far as I'm concerned, but I'll continue screwing with them if they keep calling!
Old 02-26-2009, 09:00 PM
JK Newbie

OK - here goes. Rule number 1... never negotiate a monthly payment - so that excludes any trickery by the dealership.

Rule number 2... KNOW HOW MUCH THE DEALER PAID FOR THE VEHICLE. You can determine the dealer cost very easily. Goto autos.msn.com - find the Price it with options. You will basically generate a dealer invoice

Invoice MSRP

Base Price* $22,811 $24,240
Selected Options $748 $520
Destination Charge $750 $750
Total* $24,309 $25,510

Now do some math... subtract destination charges from total Invoice and MSRP. Then divide the Invoice by MSRP. You get something like .95. Walk up to any Jeep of the same model. Subtract the $750 destination from the Window sticker, multiply it time the number you got from the previous exercise (about .95) then add back in the destination charge. That's what the car cost the dealer. Almost to the penny. Trust me - I was a finance manager in several dealerships for years.

Now that you know what the dealer paid for the unit you can apply rule number three:
Number three: Offer the dealer only the amount you are willing to let him profit. A reasonable amount is between 500 and 1500 depending on demand, their amount of inventory and other factors.

The reason he was trying to get you to finance the unit is easy, they can pack in more profit, and since you have lot's of down, they could hose you to death. Stick to your guns.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by johnnyd

Now that you know what the dealer paid for the unit you can apply rule number three:
Number three: Offer the dealer only the amount you are willing to let him profit. A reasonable amount is between 500 and 1500 depending on demand, their amount of inventory and other factors.

The reason he was trying to get you to finance the unit is easy, they can pack in more profit, and since you have lot's of down, they could hose you to death. Stick to your guns.

Very good point that I failed to mention in my post......I have always used this trick with the dealership and manager! The amount depends on the type of vehicle. I usually go with $500 to $1000 for the dealership for profit and another thing managers and dealerships fail to mention is the faster the dealership gets inventory off the dealership lot the more kick backs and $$$ they see from the Manufacture for moving the vehicles faster!
Old 02-27-2009, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

JAJAJA here in Argentina you have to buy Jeeps cars by Cash and it costs (wrangler x 2 Drs) 40.000 U$$
Old 02-27-2009, 07:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to toughen up. This is basic car salesmanship going on. Nothing out of the ordinary. I'll be frank. If you can't work this out to your benefit, life is going to be a hard road for you.

Go back there tell them what you will pay and don't settle for less. I paid 26,500 for an UL Rubicon inclusive of title tax tags, etc. in January. I am no super negotiator I promise you.

You have very honed skills of writing and a great knack at telling a story. Now toughen up and go get that Jeep.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do your shopping online. You can negotiate a lot better from home without all the distractions of the dealership. Contact all the nearest dealerships via email (they all have websites), let them know what you are looking for, and let them know you are working with other dealerships and the lowest price gets your business. Tell them in the email that your time is limited and you do not want to be contacted by phone (the less you have to deal with these guys, the better).

Some of them will still call you anyway. They talk to the answering machine. If they don't quote you a price, don't bother calling them back.

Don't even bother going to the dealership until you have a price quote that you like. Only deal with the actual price of the vehicle, don't let them distract you when they ask how much of a monthly payment you can afford. It's a ploy they use to get more money out of you. If you say you want a $400 payment, they'll assume you can afford $450.

When you do go to the dealership, if you feel they're trying to screw you then don't be afraid to call the whole thing off by walking away.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going to disagree. Getting quotes online is good practice, but excluding dealerships that won't print quotes is naive. Those are the dealerships that I have been able to haggle the best. Take you quoted from other dealerships, nada and kbb values with you and do the dance. Done correctly you can reach a deal in 30 mins. It still takes forever to do the paperwork and such, but the actual wheeling and dealing is short if done correctly.

You are right however, do not ever work on monthly payment if you don't know finance. I am a finance manager and you'd be amazed at how screwed you can be while the end number looks fine.

Last edited by Thantos; 02-27-2009 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: My experience buying a jeep