Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My experience buying a jeep

Old 02-26-2009, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My experience buying a jeep

http://tinyurl.com/cq3lvv
I wrote up a long review on the process. Any negotiating tips?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

mmm .. not good. Have you considered buying your jeep through one of the online sellers like cardirect.com? The price is given to you up front without all the BS.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Entertaining read.

I would say that with 25,000 cash in hand ready to go, you need to contact one of the online Jeep dealers, (or any dealer in the country other than the ones mentioned) and order or locate the exact configuration of Wrangler that you want.

There is a dealer near me with a few new 08 Sahara's that you could buy with that cash, or a little less. (They have $25,something on the mirror hang tags)

Don't be so quick to let the dealers know how much you have in hand. They will always try to talk you out of at least that much.

Good luck with it.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

I know that 25 isnt that much money - I just want a basic Wrangler Unlimited. I owned a 98 Wrangler and need a new one. If there are any dealers that want to sell an '08 - i have 25k ready to go
Old 02-26-2009, 10:55 AM
JK Freak

You need to go in and really low-ball it.
Start out knowing what you can spend. Take the difference in their asking price, and drop that low... so you can meet in the middle. IE, you go in with $24,000, they are asking $28,000, so you tell them you only have $20,000. That way, when you start negotiating, you can meet in the middle. This is how they think you are acting, so if you go in telling them 24, they think the middle price is higher.

Its sort of a game, and if you think of it as such, you'll be happier when you 'win' with your price.

This has worked for me in the past, paid $19,000 for my bronco, when they were asking $28,000 a few years back. Similar (but not such a great difference) when I did it for my Jeep or 'vette.

Just think how happy you'll be getting a $28,000 Jeep for only $24,000!

edit:

oh, but don't go back to the dealership you already started with.... they know how much you got already, so game over... find another one, even if you have to drive a bit.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the advice - maybe i ll post a picture this weekend!
Old 02-26-2009, 11:24 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DON"T even give the Dealership a sniff of what money you have ready! Let them work for your Business especially in todays market!!!

Walk into a dealership and talk with a salesman and let him know what you are looking at and what options! They will give you a price and most likely that first one will be MRSP. Get off the chair and walkout and as you are leaving let him know that is not acceptable, that you want there lowest price & you will PAY CASH for the sale!

He will more than likely leave the office and talk with his manager and bring back a better price more than likely MRSP minus any incentives that they have that month! Get up again walk out the door and tell them that is still way to high and you want a better deal and start walking out the front door.

They will either go back again and see the manager or may even bring in the manager to disuss how they are hardly making money on the deal! All the verbal Diarrhea sales pitch!!! Let the manager know you have no trade-in and are strictly paying cash and that you demand to see Dealer invoice for that JK or you are walking to the next Jeep dealership.

Then when you get a price you like...... hit them up for free oil change(s), free Jeep mugs, jeep hats and extended warranty! The dealerships should be jumping at someone like yourself paying cash on the spot for a new vehicle especially how hurting car market is!!!!

My biggest thing....be prepared to walk...there are lots of dealerships that would love your business. Heck, try even faxing 5-10 dealers in and around your area and list the options you are looking at and let them know they have one shot at your business and to list there best price for that vehicle!

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 02-26-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:26 AM
JK Newbie

X2 on the low-ball.

I got my Jeep used for only 12k out the door. You have to get the Kelly Blue Book value and argue way below it. Then tell them that they need sales more than you need a new JK. Basically you have to sell them on the thought that they need you more than you need them. Once you have broken the car salesman mentality out of them they will negotiate practically anything. Good Luck.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just helped someone get an '08 rubi unlimited with everything but heated seats, remote start and hardtop for $25,361 out the door. And it had half doors! The deals are out there just be firm and don't be afraid to walk away. We left and the called us the next day and excepted our offer.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Red Skull was Captain America's arch-nemesis. The Fantastic Four's was Dr. Doom...

Sorry, it irked me.

Quick Reply: My experience buying a jeep