Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My dad is at dealer now...2011 JKU Rubicon 6,500 miles...$29,995

Old 01-26-2012, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My dad is at dealer now...2011 JKU Rubicon 6,500 miles...$29,995

has every option too...leather, nav, etc. wish i was in the position to get it myself. hopefully he ends up buying it, so i can live vicariously through him! i have 8 months to go on my wifes lease, and then i can dump that turd, and
get the JK ive wanted. sadly my wife made some poor car buying decisions before we were married, so i had to figure a way to get her out of the mess she got herself into. basically she kept piling up loses on her cars every time she decided to get a new one. so i had to go out and lease something cheap, so that once all the loses piled up, we could still afford it. thankfully 36 months go fast and actually we can turn it in at 33 months(september 2012).

anyways, my dad and i talked about it, and he will most likely buy it, and then i may take over the payments in september, if i dont go and get a new 2012. im a big fan of the winter chill and of course the 26% more HP the '12's are puttin out. also the 5 gear is a big improvement over a 4 speed.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Best of luck. My first newish car was my jk. I searched for about 3 months and went to see about 15 jks before I pulled the trigger.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

So, in September you may take over the payments on your dad's 2011, and own it?

Unless it a very good deal for you, go for the 2012.
Also, if you go for the 2012, see if they will throw in a lifetime power train warranty. It's about $750. I discussed that with my dealer. It's definitely something that can be on the table.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:31 PM
JK Junkie

Not to steer you away from what you or your father are looking for, but how much do you intend on wheeling? Reason I say this is, and in NO MEANS IS THIS A NEGATIVE COMMENT - many people buy a Rubi because they know it to be the "creme dela creme" of the wranglers and I'm willing to bet that a good handful of the people who buy em don't even use what comes with them. Lockers, electronic swaybar disco, etc. Yea, they are AWESOME features, but not only can you get them aftermarket, if you aren't going to use the jeep for what it's meant to do, why spend the money on a RUBI when you can get the sport and mod it yourself?

Again, I know i'm going to get all the nay-sayers...and AGAIN, it's not bashing RUBI's at all bc this is my 2nd JK and i've had a rubi in the past as well. It's not like you live in Utah and will be going to MOAB and rock crawling with WOL and pushing the limits, but then again....I dont know what you intend on doing...

Just my .02. Again, I will nip it in the bud - this is NOT putting down the rubi's or anyone who drives one.

Last edited by FoxRacingJMC; 01-26-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: forgot the NOT part, lmao
Old 01-26-2012, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

in the 15 years ive been driving, ive owned many new and used vehicles. now that im married and a father, ive realized buying slightly used is the way to go. my current truck is a 2006 GMC Sierra Quad Cab Duramax Diesel. the truck listed for $53,000 new. i bought it when it had 20,000 miles(hardly broken in for a diesel) in doing so i saved $20,000. the truck was owned by an older man, who used it to tow his camper from delaware to florida every
winter. so the truck was absolutely spotless and was all highway miles. what ever jeep i end up with at the end of this year, will be my wifes until my truck is paid off in 2 more years. once its aid off, then the jeep will be all mineand by then, im sure we will be ready for a family van...lmao
Old 01-26-2012, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
Not to steer you away from what you or your father are looking for, but how much do you intend on wheeling? Reason I say this is, and in NO MEANS IS THIS A NEGATIVE COMMENT - many people buy a Rubi because they know it to be the "creme dela creme" of the wranglers and I'm willing to bet that a good handful of the people who buy em don't even use what comes with them. Lockers, electronic swaybar disco, etc. Yea, they are AWESOME features, but not only can you get them aftermarket, if you aren't going to use the jeep for what it's meant to do, why spend the money on a RUBI when you can get the sport and mod it yourself?

Again, I know i'm going to get all the nay-sayers...and AGAIN, it's not bashing RUBI's at all bc this is my 2nd JK and i've had a rubi in the past as well. It's not like you live in Utah and will be going to MOAB and rock crawling with WOL and pushing the limits, but then again....I dont know what you intend on doing...

Just my .02. Again, I will nip it in the bud - this is NOT putting down the rubi's or anyone who drives one.

i hear what you are saying. however i been in the woods my entire life, either on a dirt bike, quad, or truck! so i would most certainly use the jeep the way its intended to be used. im not the type that builds something that is meant to wheel, drag race, etc and not use it for its intended use. i do understand what you are saying though. realistically its smart to buy a lesser model, and build it the way you want to build it. however buying a basically brand new rubi for $31,000 OTD is equal to buying a brand new sport. but i also understand that there is a big difference between 202HP and 285 hp. i do think that $42,000 for a pimped out rubi is nuts, when you can get a loaded sport for 10K less and build it however you choose. thats why its good to look for a basically brand new/used vehicle...cause the minute you leave the lot, the truck/car is worth 15% less than what you just paid for it
Old 01-26-2012, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree used is almost always the way to go. I'm 52 and the first new vehicle I ever bought was my 11' Unl. Rubi. I bought last year.
I searched all over the US for a steal on a used 1 or 2 year old Unl. Rubi w/ low miles and few or zero mods, and the prices on everything I could find was only a little less than a new one.
Anytime you can find what you want used in great shape for a great price that's the way to go, but if you can't you may have to buy new.
Btw; I agree if you're buying now hold out for a 12'. I love my jeep but I'd love the new motor and trans more.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:03 PM
JK Freak

If you're going to go offroad....1000% buy the Rubi....I have spent thousands making my Sahara capable as a Rubi.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate to be the wet blanket of this thread but I would avoid the 2011 if you can. The '11's are no mans land. One year down and your can super chip, one year up and you have the new engine.

You get the updated interior on the '11's so thats nice and for wheeling the new engine doesn't add much so if he ends up getting it its a nice ride and he will love it.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:51 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by navin r
I agree used is almost always the way to go. I'm 52 and the first new vehicle I ever bought was my 11' Unl. Rubi. I bought last year.
I searched all over the US for a steal on a used 1 or 2 year old Unl. Rubi w/ low miles and few or zero mods, and the prices on everything I could find was only a little less than a new one.
Anytime you can find what you want used in great shape for a great price that's the way to go, but if you can't you may have to buy new.
Btw; I agree if you're buying now hold out for a 12'. I love my jeep but I'd love the new motor and trans more.
Ha.....I was 52 as well when I bought my 07' "X"......first new vehicle I've ever bought too....

Quick Reply: My dad is at dealer now...2011 JKU Rubicon 6,500 miles...$29,995