Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My dad is at dealer now...2011 JKU Rubicon 6,500 miles...$29,995

Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 PM
JfK
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always bought used cars, but due to Wrangler's resale value, it didn't make any sense to buy a used JK with inflated prices. It was the easiest decision to buy one new, and know it will hold its value.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

well they weren't willing to budge on the asking price, so he walked. i think it was probably the best decision, since he really wants the new motor and trans. makes perfect sense since we are both gear heads, and have always had vehicles with power and lots of it! its a great buy for someone that isnt concerned with having 26% more HP and a 5th gear. he plans on buying one and keep it for the long haul. i guess it may even get the parking spot beside
his '86 Buick GN he bought new.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:05 AM
JK Freak

When i bought my rubi i wasnt trail wheeling much because i had a big IFS dodge truck but i went with the rubi anyway and im glad i did cuz i wheel so much more because of it. I am now able to spend my money on other mods to make it even more trail worthy rather than that money go towards what the rubi already has

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
Not to steer you away from what you or your father are looking for, but how much do you intend on wheeling? Reason I say this is, and in NO MEANS IS THIS A NEGATIVE COMMENT - many people buy a Rubi because they know it to be the "creme dela creme" of the wranglers and I'm willing to bet that a good handful of the people who buy em don't even use what comes with them. Lockers, electronic swaybar disco, etc. Yea, they are AWESOME features, but not only can you get them aftermarket, if you aren't going to use the jeep for what it's meant to do, why spend the money on a RUBI when you can get the sport and mod it yourself?

Again, I know i'm going to get all the nay-sayers...and AGAIN, it's not bashing RUBI's at all bc this is my 2nd JK and i've had a rubi in the past as well. It's not like you live in Utah and will be going to MOAB and rock crawling with WOL and pushing the limits, but then again....I dont know what you intend on doing...

Just my .02. Again, I will nip it in the bud - this is NOT putting down the rubi's or anyone who drives one.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:06 AM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	4aa483da838b80efa98d374e667eb1c3x.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	270588Click image for larger version

Name:	af9b7e015464d224e362269ff4602758x.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	270589Click image for larger version

Name:	02d0e769d9db22d3589d06cc11db5846x.jpg
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	270590Click image for larger version

Name:	fe96703144d74ff037153bb4b7c2d4a9x.jpg
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	270591
Old 01-27-2012, 10:14 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RodRecket
When i bought my rubi i wasnt trail wheeling much because i had a big IFS dodge truck but i went with the rubi anyway and im glad i did cuz i wheel so much more because of it. I am now able to spend my money on other mods to make it even more trail worthy rather than that money go towards what the rubi already has
Which is good for you then, I'm not doubting your choice or anyones.... some people want to "branch out" and because they pick up a rubi, they will infact wheel more or try out the sport of it(which is great in that circumstance). What i'm trying to say is...it's like someone who would live in say Manhattan and purchase a rubicon but won't wheel it... hard to explain on here, but again - it's not knockin' on anyone who does drive one.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
Which is good for you then, I'm not doubting your choice or anyones.... some people want to "branch out" and because they pick up a rubi, they will infact wheel more or try out the sport of it(which is great in that circumstance). What i'm trying to say is...it's like someone who would live in say Manhattan and purchase a rubicon but won't wheel it... hard to explain on here, but again - it's not knockin' on anyone who does drive one.
i hear that...i laugh every time i see big lifted trucks in the city rollin on mud grapplers or something similar. luckily i live in the pine barrens, where everyone in the tri-state area comes to wheel
Old 01-27-2012, 10:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by atamagashock
well they weren't willing to budge on the asking price, so he walked. i think it was probably the best decision, since he really wants the new motor and trans. makes perfect sense since we are both gear heads, and have always had vehicles with power and lots of it! its a great buy for someone that isnt concerned with having 26% more HP and a 5th gear. he plans on buying one and keep it for the long haul. i guess it may even get the parking spot beside
his '86 Buick GN he bought new.
I would say $30k is pretty decent for that one b/c of the leather and nav, but for 30k you can get a '12 sport with a bunch of options... the only thing the rubi would have on it is lockers, the stronger front axle and electronic disconnects, leather and nav... the rubi would also have 4.10's instead of 3.73 but I would argue the 2012 auto vs 2011 auto makes up the diff between 4.10's and 3.73's so I call that a tie.

You can upgrade the 2012 with lockers and quick disconnects for much cheaper than getting 80hp extra on a 2011 (especially since its actually easier to tune the 2010 and older jk's). The 2011's have less issues lifting them than the 2012's but I think its only a matter of time before that gets cleared up.

So I would say this is only a good deal for people who mostly want it for off-road and the nav and leather are important.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would tell your dad pay a little more and get the 2012. I have an 08 JKU Rubicon with 37s tires and 5.38 gears good around town and off road but the 3.8 sucks on the hwy and up hills. If he get the 2011 he is going to wish he would have gone with the 12 in the future. The 3.8 is just guttless.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by cuongdyna; 01-27-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

That seems a bit too much considering getting a '12 Rubi with a tread lightly discount minus the leather option wouldn't be a whole lot more money. I think your dad made the correct call not going for it since they wouldn't budge on the price.

Quick Reply: My dad is at dealer now...2011 JKU Rubicon 6,500 miles...$29,995