Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My 2008 JK Sahara Possible Lemon Law.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 2008 JK Sahara Possible Lemon Law.

I have a 2008 JK Sahara 2 door with 5700 miles that I have been having alot of trouble with, the Freedom top was leaking from 4 spots and after 4 attempts it still leaks in 1 spot right above the rear view mirror, now I am having water come in through the back tailgate window getting the subwofer and the back wet where the soft top is stored. Jeep has made every attempt to fix the issue and it keeps leaking. I have called Chrysler customer service and talked with them and they are sending in a District Manager for the area to look at the Jeep, but my dealer already stated that it will most likely fall under the Lemon Law for New Jersey. Has anyone else heard of these leaking like this?
Old 03-20-2009, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, leaking tops seems to be pretty common. Yours seems to be a bit much though. I think you have every right to be ticked off and get a new one under the lemon law.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The soft top should not remain stored in the back.

If you go through with the lemon process do not replace it with another JK if you are unhappy about the leaks. The 09s are exactly the same.

Try searching the board. There's ton of info on this continuing defect and constant lemons.

Every Jeep I have ever had leaks water at the tailgate where the gap is. That is normal. Especially if you shoot it with a hose. Constant leaks everywhere else are not. (well not with Jeeps other than the JK)

Here's my 2009 replacement for my 2007 lemon. Turned 6100 miles today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKOYR...e=channel_page

Last edited by saltman; 03-20-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by saltman
The soft top should not remain stored in the back.

If you go through with the lemon process do not replace it with another JK if you are unhappy about the leaks. The 09s are exactly the same.

Try searching the board. There's ton of info on this continuing defect and constant lemons.

Every Jeep I have ever had leaks water at the tailgate where the gap is. That is normal. Especially if you shoot it with a hose. Constant leaks everywhere else are not. (well not with Jeeps other than the JK)

Here's my 2009 replacement for my 2007 lemon. Turned 6100 miles today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKOYR...e=channel_page
So your 2009 leaks that bad already?

I see 350 Z in that video do you own one?
Old 03-20-2009, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

yes, that does seem to be an excessive amout of leaking. I guess we've been lucky. Our second JK and no leaks as of yet!
Good luck with the lemon law deal!
Old 03-20-2009, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

mine leaks sometimes above the driver side. i don't know what the variable is yet but it hasnt leaked lately.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by njdan
I have a 2008 JK Sahara 2 door with 5700 miles that I have been having alot of trouble with, the Freedom top was leaking from 4 spots and after 4 attempts it still leaks in 1 spot right above the rear view mirror, now I am having water come in through the back tailgate window getting the subwofer and the back wet where the soft top is stored. Jeep has made every attempt to fix the issue and it keeps leaking. I have called Chrysler customer service and talked with them and they are sending in a District Manager for the area to look at the Jeep, but my dealer already stated that it will most likely fall under the Lemon Law for New Jersey. Has anyone else heard of these leaking like this?
I have the exact same leaks as you do, is the one in the rear maybe an inch away from where the gate hinges to the body? I get water all over the sub and that little notched out space that it bolts into. I have a lake on the floor everytime it rains in the front passenger seat. At least someone looked at and attempted to fix yours, dealership here just took my name and said they are working with chrysler engineering to find a permanent fix, 3 months later I still havent heard anything. I think im gonna call chrysler and curse them out and threaten legal action, maybe they will give me the mopar rubber floor liners for free... I know, wishful thinking right.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Adam3612
I have the exact same leaks as you do, is the one in the rear maybe an inch away from where the gate hinges to the body? I get water all over the sub and that little notched out space that it bolts into. I have a lake on the floor everytime it rains in the front passenger seat. At least someone looked at and attempted to fix yours, dealership here just took my name and said they are working with chrysler engineering to find a permanent fix, 3 months later I still havent heard anything. I think im gonna call chrysler and curse them out and threaten legal action, maybe they will give me the mopar rubber floor liners for free... I know, wishful thinking right.
Yes, I get the leak in the same spot as you near the gate hinge and yes it gets the subwoofer wet and a small pudding where the sub bolts into. My dealer has been good so far with me they just haven't been able to fix it yet. What I am hopeing for is maybe they will just replace my Jeep and give me an 2009. We will see what happens in the upcoming weeks. I would call the chrysler customer number found in your Jeep booklet, they were very helpful with me and got me going in the right direction.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

I think i'm gonna head back to the dealership and ask them straight up if chrysler has come up with a fix yet, if they tell me no then im calling corporate and ripping the rep a new one then ripping his supervisor a new one. I paid just under $38 000 for this damn thing and I expect it to work without too many flaws, I had major issues before I even took delivery and they've just kept piling up since then. Wish the canadian government would pass some sort of lemon law to protect consumers. I would be happy if they would fix my damn leaks or just give me some mopar rubber floor liners for free, nothin worse than wet carpet.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Sounds like me 4 years ago with an 05 Unlimited Rubicon. Dealer won't care, corporate won't care. Dealer PREFERS you go to a lawyer because then you deal with the manufacturer instead of the dealer.

A leaking top does not fall under the lemon law. It's a breach of warranty, you won't get a new Jeep because it doesn't inhibit usability.

Many lemonlaw lawyers will also deal with breach of warranty issues too. Jeep won't deal with individuals at all but a fax from a lawyers office and $$ offers start flying immediately.

Quick Reply: My 2008 JK Sahara Possible Lemon Law.