Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

must to mods/tricks

Old 04-22-2009, 06:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheap stuff;
Check out www.jeepswag.com and get the following stuff Brett, the guy who owns it is a member here, steering stablizer recocation bracket and Evap can relocation kits.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok well maybe I was wrong when I said "cheap". What I meant was not "hardcore offroad useage". But I'm loving the ideas so far. I have to get a mat for the cargo area for sure. And grab handles are a must, esp in the rear (my father found that one out the hard way). I definately will do the blinking side marker mod.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by racinfast002
...I have to get a mat for the cargo area for sure...
Cheap solution here is to get some indoor/outdoor carpet from Home Depot and cut it to fit the cargo area.

I have the same piece in the back of my JK that I bought for my XJ back in 2000. Moved it to my KJ then the JK. Time for an upgrade though, it is too small to cover the entire cargo area of my JK.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:55 AM
JK Super Freak

How about a couple of JK stickers?
Old 04-22-2009, 08:02 AM
JK Super Freak

The gap between the dash and the windshield mod. I'm looking for a thread about the dash, can't find it for some reason. It seems to be that JK's are very hungry and if you put something on the dash, the Jeep will eat it. The item will go behind the dash into a black hole or something. There is a mod where you add some pipe insulation and it will keep stuff from falling back there.

The mirror mod. I haven't drilled, but I cut the foam insulation and made the notch a little bigger with a knife. I think I am going to fully drill it though.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good grief you have come to the right place for ideas about cheap mods...lets see the mirror drilling has been covered...the marker light is a good idea. I would recommend the daystar upper dash panel (~$25) or its more expensive cousin found in quadratec. I would also recommend the armrest pad (~$45) that can be found in ebay, 4wd, or quadratec if you are over 5'5". You can steel wool your wheels and paint them with duplicolor to a flat black or metallic...several folks have done that. An option to the zip tie mod is the daystar replacement kit (~$30). The JK sticker mod is a must; you can find those right on this forum...well, project-JK.com. I would also look at some of those clip lights (~$10), little map lights, from quadratec for those night time "where did that go" situations. There is also a thread on here somewhere about less than $100 mods. You could look there but some of them are things like mirror relocation brackets and some electrical mods. Let us know what you do and take pictures.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by brian_crystal
Good grief you have come to the right place for ideas about cheap mods...lets see the mirror drilling has been covered...the marker light is a good idea. I would recommend the daystar upper dash panel (~$25) or its more expensive cousin found in quadratec. I would also recommend the armrest pad (~$45) that can be found in ebay, 4wd, or quadratec if you are over 5'5". You can steel wool your wheels and paint them with duplicolor to a flat black or metallic...several folks have done that. An option to the zip tie mod is the daystar replacement kit (~$30). The JK sticker mod is a must; you can find those right on this forum...well, project-JK.com. I would also look at some of those clip lights (~$10), little map lights, from quadratec for those night time "where did that go" situations. There is also a thread on here somewhere about less than $100 mods. You could look there but some of them are things like mirror relocation brackets and some electrical mods. Let us know what you do and take pictures.
Thank you so much for your input. I definately plan on getting the Daystar upper dash panel. And as I said earlier, the rear cargo mat. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with mirror relocation, but I'm probably going to build something the goes in the hinges. I don't like 2 sets of mirrors when the doors are on (no offense to those that have it). Also I don't like the big @$$ bracket that is left on. So I'll probably make something along the lines of the motorcycle mirrors.

The armrest, well, funny story about that. I'm like 5'6" so it isnt a problem for me

And I'll have to get me a cool JK sticker ASAP
Old 04-22-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Super Freak

If you are gonna wheel it. Get that carpet out!

A shorti antenna is nice when on the trail. You don't get that godawful clang like you do when your factory antenna snags a tree branch. $20.00 mod
Old 04-22-2009, 06:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SONIC
get the rugged ridge brackets and leave the mirrors off the doors all the time. thats what i do.
they come with a plug that plugs the hole in your door and they look great.
you can kinda see it here:
those are sweet, I'll look into that for sure!
Old 04-22-2009, 06:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by racinfast002
So I'm a new Jeep owner (woot) and was wondering. What are everyones favorite free/cheap/must do mods once getting your JK. I'm not talking lifts or tires or things of that nature. Just little things that have either increased the function, or driveability of your Jeep? I'm open to all suggestion I'm all ears.
Wheels,Tires and a lift welcome!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: must to mods/tricks