Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Must have spare parts and tools??

Old 05-17-2010, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Must have spare parts and tools??

I will be commuting twice a week 130 miles cross country through very northern Maine (all logging roads), besides two spare tires and related equipment what other spare parts that are prone to failure should I pick up?? (I will be making this trek all winter too)
Currently I am lifted 2.5 with 295/70/18 Trail Grapplers, XRC-8 winch, aux lighting, general survival gear, hard wired sat phone, MURS radio, and a very basic tool kit in addition to a hi-lift jack.
I have plans for a re-gear, lockers, and snorkel amongst other things before winter.
It won't be hard core rock crawling or mud bogging, but occasional unplowed roads and spring thaw in a decilite wasteland can make things pretty interesting.

Any thoughts or experience with commonly prone to failure parts is appreciated.
Thanks again.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I carry and craftsman socket set in the rear trunk and a long HD rachet strap
Old 05-17-2010, 08:56 AM
JK Junkie

36mm socket, tow strap, D Rings,
Old 05-17-2010, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

21mm socket (many sets won't include one), GOOD adjustable wrench, "Good Stuff" sealant, duct tape, mechanic's gloves, wheel lock key, breaker bar.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

A large caliber hand gun, an appropriate rifle during deer or moose season, the usual survival gear for a few days unsupported. A good novel to enjoy while waiting for help and that Spanish course on CD that you've been meaning to buy. Some road flares for starting fires. Might want consider one of those locator beacons that hikers carry in case you get injured. Obviously you'll want extra gas, oil, coolant, ATF, etc. Duct tape, a camera for taking awsome pictures of moose and other critters, a small chain saw or a bow saw for clearing fallen trees, can of carb cleaner for degreasing, a Costco jug of bug repelant.

Might also consider getting beefier drive shafts.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bradlybob
A large caliber hand gun, an appropriate rifle during deer or moose season, the usual survival gear for a few days unsupported. A good novel to enjoy while waiting for help and that Spanish course on CD that you've been meaning to buy. Some road flares for starting fires. Might want consider one of those locator beacons that hikers carry in case you get injured. Obviously you'll want extra gas, oil, coolant, ATF, etc. Duct tape, a camera for taking awsome pictures of moose and other critters, a small chain saw or a bow saw for clearing fallen trees, can of carb cleaner for degreasing, a Costco jug of bug repelant.

Might also consider getting beefier drive shafts.
nice, yeah I have most all the above mentioned articles, minus the drive shafts and the spanishe course (I was thinking french may prove to be more useful). Drive shafts will be considered. Thanks
Old 05-17-2010, 04:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have a gallon of anti-freeze, 2 gallons of water, and a spare SERPENTINE BELT. Remove and re-install your belt NOW to make SURE you have the right tools to change it. Also get a GOOD 12 volt LED trouble lite that will run off your battery, the LED lite won't run your battery down if you have to have it on for an hour or so. Also get an extra scissors jack, if you slide into a ditch 2 jacks could get you out, cut a couple of 18'' X 18'' squares of 3/4'' plywood to set the jacks on. That way the jacks won't sink on a soft road. Hell by the time we get thru with ya you will need a tractor-trailer....
Old 05-17-2010, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
have a gallon of anti-freeze, 2 gallons of water, and a spare SERPENTINE BELT. Remove and re-install your belt NOW to make SURE you have the right tools to change it. Also get a GOOD 12 volt LED trouble lite that will run off your battery, the LED lite won't run your battery down if you have to have it on for an hour or so. Also get an extra scissors jack, if you slide into a ditch 2 jacks could get you out, cut a couple of 18'' X 18'' squares of 3/4'' plywood to set the jacks on. That way the jacks won't sink on a soft road. Hell by the time we get thru with ya you will need a tractor-trailer....
good idea with the belt and the jacks. I really don't want all the spare parts to build another jeep, but I do want some of the things that have been prone to failing ( I have a general Idea, but hearing of other peoples experiances is a great advantage). I'm not worried about being stranded very long, the longest I would have to wait is probably a day, but now that I have to go up there and back (130 mi. one way) twice a week, I want some gear, parts, and tools that will get me there and back.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

Never a bad idea to have some PB blaster on hand, or at least close by
Old 05-19-2010, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

Default Tools

Air pump, torx bits.

Quick Reply: Must have spare parts and tools??