Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer if you had your rathers?
A muddy trail
29.14%
A rocky trail
44.37%
both are the same to me.
26.49%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Mudders vs. Not mudders

Old 11-18-2008, 09:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess which one I picked

Old 11-18-2008, 11:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben
There are a lot people on this forum who think that mud is the devil and would much rather be in rocks. They see mud as a great way mess things up and break things and avoid it at all costs.

Then there are people who think that rocks are the devil and would much rather be on a muddy trail. They see rocks as a great way to mess things up and break things and avoid it at all costs.

Friendly discussion time, would you rather be on a muddy trail or a rocky trail?

Why?

Which one is rougher on a vehicle?

I am interested in this one and will post my opinion later.
If you wanted an accurate benchmark you'd have to do a "not so open-ended" comparison. For example one could compare a Rubicon with a responsible driver staying on a comparitively rated trail for that vehicle (rock or mud). That being the test-bed I personally would think either would be fine, but would lean towards the rocks being less damaging over the mud. Then again it would depend on the muddy trail you have in mind, soupy gumbo mud up to the headlights for 5 miles or an occasional dip in a foot of mud now and then, of course the foremost would cause more problems just getting into everything, then again I've done it and been fine, just a PIA to clean .
Old 11-18-2008, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would much rather be in mud that in the rocks....but as long as I am outside playing/4x4ing w/friends I am happy
Old 11-19-2008, 02:13 AM
JK Freak

I like Mud (clay here where i live) but it seems the more i go wheeling the more i like finding rocks to climb. the mud is just stright up fun where the rocks more challenging and exciting, But one thing i do know is that big rocks hidden in big mud holes is BAD!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 02:18 AM
JK Jedi

Not a fan of mud. Definitely into rocky, more arid wheeling, especially at higher elevations.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:27 AM
Ben
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
If you wanted an accurate benchmark you'd have to do a "not so open-ended" comparison. For example one could compare a Rubicon with a responsible driver staying on a comparitively rated trail for that vehicle (rock or mud). That being the test-bed I personally would think either would be fine, but would lean towards the rocks being less damaging over the mud. Then again it would depend on the muddy trail you have in mind, soupy gumbo mud up to the headlights for 5 miles or an occasional dip in a foot of mud now and then, of course the foremost would cause more problems just getting into everything, then again I've done it and been fine, just a PIA to clean .
true a little open ended. For my favorite kind of "muddy terrain," I am thinking of wet/muddy trails and hill climbs in the woods, not necessarily a mud bog. but some people like that and hey, as long as maverick1701 is behind me with his warn 12k winch, I will hop into anything.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ben
There are a lot people on this forum who think that mud is the devil and would much rather be in rocks. They see mud as a great way mess things up and break things and avoid it at all costs.

Then there are people who think that rocks are the devil and would much rather be on a muddy trail. They see rocks as a great way to mess things up and break things and avoid it at all costs.

Friendly discussion time, would you rather be on a muddy trail or a rocky trail?

Why?

Which one is rougher on a vehicle?

I am interested in this one and will post my opinion later.
All we used to do was mud and then lift kits/technology changed. Then articulation was here. A lot of people do rock climbing around here since the trails are all closed now. I just enjoy my Jeep regardless. I guess I've broken too much stuff over the years and the vehicles themselves have gotten so much better but so much more espensive too. I hate to say it but am I getting old and growing up. That scares me!! It's all fun
Old 11-19-2008, 05:53 PM
JK Junkie

UP here there is more mud than rocks unless you drive in the rivers (which is a blast but a bit unpredicatable) so i would say I am partial to the mud. I have not much experience with rocks but the small amount I have done has been a rush I just hate the sound of rock and metal meeting each other.
I find that both rocks and mud can be just as unpreditable and damaging as eachother.
Especially if you are unexperienced in either aspect.
I have alot of mudding and slippry hill climbing experience and I never break a thing.... although it hasnt always been that way and I am sure that with my inexperience with rocks I would tear my rig up pretty good on my first couple goes, but once I got the hang of it and had a good spotter I could navigate rocks without too much carnage.
And yes cleaning the mud up does suck ass! I have a Prosthetic leg and after walking around in slop I think I have to spend more time cleaning that than my rig to get it to work right....
Old 11-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Ben
JK Freak

Originally Posted by N2rock
OK... I won't even say anything about Maverick "being behind you"
he's the man behind the man.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:35 PM
JK Freak

I'd have to say rocky. I like the technical stuff more. Mud is ok, but what a pain to clean. It gets into everything and then takes forever to get out.

Quick Reply: Mudders vs. Not mudders