Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer if you had your rathers?
A muddy trail
29.14%
A rocky trail
44.37%
both are the same to me.
26.49%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Mudders vs. Not mudders

Old 11-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Ben
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mudders vs. Not mudders

There are a lot people on this forum who think that mud is the devil and would much rather be in rocks. They see mud as a great way mess things up and break things and avoid it at all costs.

Then there are people who think that rocks are the devil and would much rather be on a muddy trail. They see rocks as a great way to mess things up and break things and avoid it at all costs.

Friendly discussion time, would you rather be on a muddy trail or a rocky trail?

Why?

Which one is rougher on a vehicle?

I am interested in this one and will post my opinion later.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:58 AM
JK Freak

I had to pick mud, I dont' see rocks on trails by me
Old 11-17-2008, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like each one. They both have there own type of fun aspect to them. Mud you get to throw it everywhere (and lets face it who didn't play in the mud when they were little.) and rocks you get to feel like you are on top of the world as you crawl (I also enjoyed throwing rocks as a kid.). So I choose both.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will take rocks over mud any day.

With rocks I do not have to worry about sucking them up into my clutch (been there ), diffs, tranny, etc. I can see the obstacles, they are not buried. Cleanup is a lot easier.

That being said rocks are harder on tires, I've cut two down this year. Rocks bang the hell out of your skids, frame rails and everything else they can get a hold of.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:13 AM
Ben
JK Freak

I go with mud. As long as you don't mind being pulled out and go into things slow, and scout out the terrain to see what is under the water/mud, I think it is easier on a vehicle. Clean that stuff up too! The guys i wheel with we get out and check water depth/softness under water before we go into it, and then one of us goes into it, usually backwards so if you sink, as long as your gas tank cap is above water you are ok. (our breathers are all moved way high so I would much rather sink the rear than sink the engine.)

But my favorite is a muddy trail where the water gets no higher than about 2 foot consistently, not things that a boat would be better at.

BTW, by going into mud slowly to check it out, you are almost certainly going to get stuck and have to be pulled out, but it beats the heck out of hitting it fast, getting in the middle, getting stuck on somehting under water, and having the water rush back and flood your motor.

Check out those crazy russian guys from the forum. They have some super cool vids from the Pine Barrens in new Jersey. That looks like the perfect wheeling to me.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It all depends on how much mud and the size of the rocks. I don't like deep mud. I don't like big rocks.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Ben
JK Freak

Originally Posted by spartan99
It all depends on how much mud and the size of the rocks. I don't like deep mud. I don't like big rocks.
amen, and there is a reason n2rock's name is not n2mud.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer rocks/dry trails over mud. I still go to the muddy areas when I can tho. They are both a good time.

my engine is still muddy from a run back in February, but my skids are still dented up from the rocks in march... they both leave there mark
Old 11-17-2008, 12:05 PM
JK Junkie

I prefer rocks!! Everytime Ive broken something major, its been in mud. Plus, its a pain to clean.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:47 PM
JK Junkie

i like both!

Quick Reply: Mudders vs. Not mudders