Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Much better than expected mpg!

Old 05-28-2009, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Much better than expected mpg!

The following is from other posts "during" our vacation. We can't be more pleased with our gas mileage! AND... the JEEP is probably the best all around vehicle for our use. What fears we had prior to purchase during our research period... are all vanished!
am totally surprised... I was expecting the worst.... my 09' Sahara is rated for 15 to 19 MPG. I was thinking my luck would always be under 19 and hoping for 20 mpg. I am pleasently surprised to find I have gotten 24.2 MPG yesterday!!!!
I am traveling in the Adirondacks right now and while approaching from the west side I took it at about 45 to 50 mph to enjoy the sights. It was not hilly at that point.
While at highway speeds on Rt. 90 east... about 65-70 mph I was getting between 21 and 22 mpg!
Today we will be on more mountainous roads as we go about geo cacheing, so we don't expect miracles.
We are enjoying our Jeep!
Ralph & Peggy
My sahara is an automatic.... about 3,000 miles on it, and has a factory installed tow hitch which means different gears. (not sure now... will have to look up the gears)
I drive fairly conservative... so I don't mash the peddle or do the jack rabbit starts.(often) The MPG of 24.2 was on the one tank. (not the whole tank average) I reset the mpg for each tank of gas while on this trip. We check the mpg often as we travel always hoping for getting over the last reading....
The only drawback of getting this jeep was the gas mileage... but it seems to be a non issue now! My wife likes it better and better!
Ralph

Ok our vacation trip is "past tense"!
we had the most enjoyable trip enjoying the scenery the locations the hotels and even meeting many fine folks. We did not do too good with Geo-caching though! We could not find several and most were way into the woods on a fairly decent hike. I think being very new to geo-caching we did not know enough to find those!
Ok to the GAS MILEAGE!
As you know I was very excited to get 24.2 mpg on my initial posting... well on the way home on Rt. 71 in Ohio... mostly flat and steady speed... we got an even 25 MPG!!!!!! It was funny... we kept it on the mpg readout on the speedo... just to see the movement... it was rising so we kept it on...
We both had to go peeeeee and our dog was crossing his legs too... but we kept going to test the mpg readout. it probably took about a half hour of watching for it to climb to 25. As soon as it hit 25... we zoomed off to a rest area for a much needed stop! LOL
We know for the most part the readout is not a perfect figure and that it takes a reading of a "moment or two in time" during "that" tank of gas. But it seems now to be reliable enough for a decent guide line!
here is our findings...

OUR VACATION TRIP
TOTAL MILEAGE... 2775
TOTAL GALLONS OF GAS... 131.692
TOTAL MPG FOR TRIP... 21.071

On the one tank that registered the 25 MPG we figured the mileage on that whole tank... (23.619 MPG)

all in all... we are totally satisfied with our mileage. We expected much less!
Over all... our jeep did wonderful.... still no problems, no shakes, no rattles and it feels great to drive! We made a great decision to buy this vehicle!
Ralph & Peggy
picnic42
Old 05-28-2009, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thats great. I have a stock Rubicon can't get it over 17
Old 05-28-2009, 07:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait until you start adding stuff.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:14 AM
JK Jedi

Mine has been better than advertised as well, though top off and M/Ts aren't helping it anymore.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Talking Gas Mileage

I was able to get almost what your average was on a trip last summer to the East coast - overall trip of 2,110 miles was 23.4 mpg. I must tell you I also am a conservative driver, usually setting the cruise exactly on the speed limit. If the speed limit is 70, I usually drive about 65 anyway. I have the Rubicon gears with trailer tow pkg on an unlimited automatic trans. Had no trailer, me and the wife and luggage, and I run 45lbs in the stock BFG MTR's. I was happy with it, seats were quite comfy for the long drive.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:56 AM
JK Jedi

Just wait till the mod bug happens when you add on 33's or 35's on the list, lift kit.....mileage will start to slide
Old 05-28-2009, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry to come off like an a hole but I call complete BS on your claim of 23+ mpg .... I have an almost stock, 09 Sahara (manual). I get 20 MAX on the highway doing 70 mph ... and that's if I reset the trip computer while at speed (ie, no stop/start).

...and if you are calculating manually you should double check the capacity of the fuel tank ... my guess is you are using the incorrect tank capacity

Last edited by pcarpenter; 05-28-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pcarpenter
Sorry to come off like an a hole but I call complete BS on your claim of 23+ mpg .... I have an almost stock, 09 Sahara (manual). I get 20 MAX on the highway doing 70 mph ... and that's if I reset the trip computer while at speed (ie, no stop/start).

...and if you are calculating manually you should double check the capacity of the fuel tank ... my guess is you are using the incorrect tank capacity
I did figure it manually by filling up before the trip until the pump nozzle clicked off once, then each time I stopped for fuel I did the same thing and logged the amount of fuel from the pump. Then at the end of the trip I filled up and divided the miles traveled by the gallons used. I had forgot to check the trip computer until the next day coming home from work and it said 23.1 at that time. I had about 9000 miles on the Jeep at the start of the trip, so I figured that was a pretty good break-in period.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Re-read my post... look at the figures... do the math!
re-read the post again... the 25 mpg was on my speedo and then I did the math on "that" tank of gas!
why in the world would you say I am BS'ing you.... you don't even know me!
I have no reason what so ever to lie or falsify what I wrote... what I wrote was my delight of having such great MPG

Just because your experience is not the same as mine or others does not mean it is BS... it might mean you want to start an argument instead of enjoying that someone is excited about their mpg!
If you don't believe me or others that is fine.... your comment on calling me a liar will be ignored and probably all your other posts as well.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:16 PM
JK Jedi

I don't call BS....when my stock 08 Sahara unlimited with 6 spd & 3:73 rear gearing and stock tires and rims....I was getting 23-24 USMPG....all hand calculated. That is driving highway speeds no faster than 65MPH, no head winds and fairly flat roads. It can be done!!! Once I got the lift kit and 33" M/T's and new rims....I am down to 22 USMPG. Not complaining at all especially a brick on wheels.

Quick Reply: Much better than expected mpg!