Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

MPG depending on tank fullness?

Old 07-06-2012, 08:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
How many times have you observed the difference between a 1/2 tank fill-up, and an empty tank fill-up?

How far do you drive right after each fill-up before parking the Jeep?
Every time. It never fails except one time when I topped off my tank before towing a trailer weighing about 2k lbs. I usually drive 15miles to each destination. Mathematically the numbers don't lie. I've even seen 17mpg when I topped off 1/4 tank.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:49 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

It's getting too late to think about this...

I think I'll try it for a few fill-ups and see what happens.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Here's a snapshot of the past few weeks for example. The results of the fill up don't show until the next fill up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2170589517.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	338278
Old 07-06-2012, 09:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by notsoricer
Here's a snapshot of the past few weeks for example. The results of the fill up don't show until the next fill up.

Attachment 338278
On the next fill up?
Why doesn't it tell you the mpg as soon as it knows how much fuel was used and the distance?

For example, why is the top line of data missing the mpg, when it knows how much fuel was pumped in?

When I do this by hand, I immediately know the mpg.

Last edited by ronjenx; 07-06-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by notsoricer

Thanks, you must be really smart. But not smart enough to read that I CALCULATE my milage and not rely on any fancy on board computer. When I fill up approximately half (11gal), I get better milage than a full fill up (usually 20 gallons). I use "gas cubby" app and I sometimes do the math on paper. The app is just as accurate plus it saves all your data.
This isn't another "how can I get better mpg?" post but thanks for you concern and constructiveness.
Btw, crack is wack.
Look the only way to really measure accurately is with a fuel flow gauge inline before the intake. You can't just put how much fuel you put in the tank and divide that into how many miles you went. Jeeps have notoriously wacky vent tubes so there really is no way to ensure you filled up to the same level every time.

That method is fine over a large sample reading but won't work on small partial tank calculations with any real accuracy. Not for the plus or minus a few MPG readings you all are looking to figure out.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:33 PM
JK Freak
Veteran: Air Force

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have 5k on my Rubi. I always did the mileage by hand. I got bored with the process because my numbers rarely changed. My travel circle is quite small which allowed me to always use the same fuel pump. I've filled up with the tank any and all volumes and my numbers range from 17.3 to 18.1. I stopped at about 4300 miles.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

A lot of differant variables to calculating gas milage. Weather, terrain, traffic, grade of gasoline, etc. My sister work at the main office of a large oil/ gas producer and she says they have over 200 differant blends they use, so I'm sure that's a factor.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dognights
The reason why it seems like you get worse mileage out of your tank from 1/2 to empty is because of where the fuel float sensor is set to. When you are reading half a tank you are actually at less then half a tank.

I can agree with this, I always burn the bottom half of the tank way faster than the top half.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:59 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Donkee
I can agree with this, I always burn the bottom half of the tank way faster than the top half.
Can you explain how that would make a difference when the mpg is calculated based on fuel pumped and miles driven?

Quick Reply: MPG depending on tank fullness?