Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Moving North in the Winter

Old 11-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Jeb
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good points all around. The car wash will be your friend. Also- Invest in a good ice/snow scraper,

As for moving to "Gun Wavin'" New Haven, it's a lot better than it used to be (according to a few friends of mine who live there/have lived there recently)... Just don't park in conspicuous places if you can avoid it.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hitz
Good evening everyone,

There is a very good chance that I will be moving from Huntsville Texas to New Haven Connecticut in March or february (The best time in the world to move) to start a new job and go to school. I have only seen snow that sticks once, briefly, and I have never driven in any snowy conditions. This will be a terrible shock but I want to try to prepare myself as best as I can in the next few months.

Below are some questions I have, keep in mind I have barely seen snow and have little experience with driving in icy conditions.

1. I currently have 2 sets of tires, Micky Thompson MTZs (35x12.5) and the stock Goodyear Wrangler All terrain tires, which would be better for street driving in Winter Conditions in the North East?
Depends on their reaction to deep cold. If you already have the ATs on, keep them on.

2. I have heard that many people put a type of grease under the vehicle to protect from the salt that is apparently laid everywhere during the winter months. What type of grease is this and how should I apply it? What should not be greased?
Nope. Wash...a lot.

3. How common is it to have doors frozen shut and what is the best way to open them again?
Aside from ice rain, if you wash it be sure to use the blower/dryer around all rubber seals. Cleaning and treating with armorall is good to do...keeps seals clean and flexible. Never had seals freeze after living in Northern Alberta for 5 years, if they were clean.

4. Does the Hard top have enough insulation to keep the occupants somewhat warm? I currently have the interior carpet removed, should I put it back in for insulation?
The heater is mighty strong. Give it a shot.

5. How often should I wash the body of the jeep to keep the salt/ice from damaging the paint or areas where the paint may be scratched?
Once per week.

6. Should I have any concerns about not being able to keep the Jeep in a garage?
Not if you have your fluids topped up. Use a block heater.

7. What extra precautions should I take in prepairing the Jeep for constant freezing temperatures?
Ensure all hoses/belts are cleaned and inspected. Ensure fluids are clean and seals are in good shape. Recheck as it gets cold due to contraction.

Pack along some basic recovery gear, food, a candle and matches w/ a tin can, sleeping bag and some other basic winter goods.

Also if you have any advise to offer on living in a snow/Icy environment and what to do and what not to do with a Jeep, I would love to hear it.
Go slow. It's amazing how 20 extra km/ph can affect your steering/braking capabilities, especially on snow/ice.

The JK really is a standout winter vehicle. I've gone a lot of places that others merely scratched their asses and called a tow. Hope this works for ya.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:06 AM
JK Freak

I'd go with the AT tires on the road in winter. I don't do anything special to prep for winter except put the colder rated antifreeze in the windshield washer tank. I don't even wash mine during the winter because as soon as you drive out of the car wash the salt just splashes right back up where you just washed it off. Never heard of greasing the bottom side and I've lived in the middle of NY state for almost 60 years. Your door locks are most apt to freeze if the weather warms up and it rains and then turns cold. Pick up a little can of lock deicer, it's sold everywhere up north, and put it in your pocket. They are only slightly larger than a Bic lighter. You shouldn't really see much snow in New Haven, you are more apt to get freezing rain and sleet there. The temperature is tempered by the ocean so you won't see extreme cold either. Good luck on the move, my sister used to live in Ansonia and she liked it around there.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would recommend going out during the first real snow and practice driving in a vacant area (parking lot). Snow really isn't a big deal as long as u stay slow and don't break or apply gas during turns. But just drive around a little to get the feel of the jeep before the really bad weather comes, and if your in an empty parking lot do some donuts there always fun. Best of luck with the move

Quick Reply: Moving North in the Winter