Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Motor Trend's report on 2012

Old 08-26-2011, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Noxian
Sounds like the OP is taking things abit out of context, See the link below, it suggests that they are having casting problems with the blocks made in mexico, not completed engines, and no numbers from confirmed sources are quoted. At the time of the post "January 24, 2011" it indicates there are shortages at the Trenton plant because of this.

[/U][/B]
Correct. Thanks for posting, I remember seeing that a while back. It says that block that the Mexican plant are recieving are bad. WXman saw something about Mexican plant and problems and made dumb assumption that because the engines are assembled there then they are of lower quality. Look I don't like seeing the work go down that way as much as anyone, but don't dissrespect the guys down there because of it. What you want them to turn down the jobs?

Not to mention it's been posted several times that the motors going in the JK are the ones assembled in the United States.

Last edited by Sharkey; 08-27-2011 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Removed link in quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait to see someone else pull off the 6.7 seconds.

I would have been skeptical at even 7.5; but I am glad to see improvements being made.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 181
Correct. Thanks for posting, I remember seeing that a while back. It says that block that the Mexican plant are recieving are bad. WXman saw something about Mexican plant and problems and made dumb assumption that because the engines are assembled there then they are of lower quality. Look I don't like seeing the work go down that way as much as anyone, but don't dissrespect the guys down there because of it. What you want them to turn down the jobs?

Not to mention it's been posted several times that the motors going in the JK are the ones assembled in the United States.
Good old NAFTA taking jobs south again. What a one was street that 'dream' ended up being. Things happened just like Perot said in '92 --- big old wind just sucking jobs right out of the USA. At least we can say the enigne will be still 'Made in America' right??
Old 08-27-2011, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

call me crazy but one thing i really like about my "clunky 3.8L" is being able to see what might be wrong when I open the hood. Good luck getting all the muck out of that jam packed engine bay. Where are the belts again? can anyone see the oil filter. Like i said i may be crazy but i like a little space.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Junkie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdR30oIsU1E
Old 08-27-2011, 12:34 PM
JK Freak

good video matt852. i thought the article was pretty good stuff for jeep. i will eventually be upgrading.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 181

I stated that the mexican engines were of lower quality, and there is info. from credible sources to back it up. I did NOT say that the JK engines were necessarily having problems (yet) because of it...I specifically said that Jeep is trying to only let quality out the door.

Who's making assumptions here?

Everyone knows that the 3.8 had issues in it's first two years. I would NOT buy a 3.6 right now...is more HP worth taking a risk on a new design that is clearly getting crappy supplier parts thrown at it. Who knows what is really making it out the door? That's all I'm saying.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WXman
I stated that the mexican engines were of lower quality, and there is info. from credible sources to back it up. I did NOT say that the JK engines were necessarily having problems (yet) because of it...I specifically said that Jeep is trying to only let quality out the door.

Who's making assumptions here?

Everyone knows that the 3.8 had issues in it's first two years. I would NOT buy a 3.6 right now...is more HP worth taking a risk on a new design that is clearly getting crappy supplier parts thrown at it. Who knows what is really making it out the door? That's all I'm saying.
All JK Pentastars are built in Michigan. So really I don't care what is happening in Mexico.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 181

All JK Pentastars are built in Michigan. So really I don't care what is happening in Mexico.
You are misinformed. They are having trouble with inferior export parts which is holding up supply. 3.6 will have tons of issues for the 1st couple years till quality control catches up.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Donatello
can anyone see the oil filter
Yeah, its easy to see. Real easy to change too, much better than most engines!

Quick Reply: Motor Trend's report on 2012