Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The most unanswered question in JK history. Let’s solve it on this Forum!

Old 10-27-2012, 03:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Modifications do not void a warranty, however they can lead to a claim denial.

Oversized tires are probably just as likely to get a claim denied as a bolt-on lift.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pwain

Oversized tires are probably just as likely to get a claim denied as a bolt-on lift.
Im an executive in an Extended Warranty business. THis was very well said.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on your concerns I would say go back to the dealer and have them install the lift and tires. It will cost you a premium but I was told by my local dealership that going that route will preserve all factory warranty. Probably double check with yours first and get it in writing on the estimate.

Otherwise if offroad rubbing will bother you and you can't lift the jeep then I would suggest either not getting bigger tires or not going off road generally we can't have our cake and eat it too!

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Interesting thread. At my dealership they sell several lifted brand new jks on 35s and non lifted on 33s as a dealer installed option. I assumed they were using the mopar lift as that was a genuine part but to my surprise they use the rough country 2.5 budget boost ( coil spacers and shock extensions) they also trim the front ir damn. All this for $6400 !!
My service dept said they will pretty much install any part I bring them. Furthermore the head of the service dept said warty is not voided due to mods. However if the mod COULD. Have cased a failure on the rig then the claim can be denied.
Basically if I have an electrical problem he won't deny because of the lift. But if I have a suspension problem he can if he feels the modification was the cause of the problem..
Old 10-27-2012, 11:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THrough confusion and chaos I was able to get the dealer to install my lift and 35's and warranty it. I doubt what happened could ever be duplicated but in the end I got the dealership to install a lift they didnt want to touch at an awesome price $1100.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks everyone heres the anwser

Ok, so through research heres the anwser for 285/75/r16. You cannot run these tires on stock wheels unless you get wheel spacers. With the wheel spacers you will be able to run these tires on road ok, but off road you will definitly have rub issues. If you buy new wheels with 4.5" back spacing or less you can run these tires on the road fine, but off road you will definitly have rub issues. With proper back spacing you will not have rub issues on the sway bar, but you will have rub issues on the fender flares when you do any type of flexing. This can be fixed by either cutting your fender flairs or buying new ones that are a lot smaller. Buying new ones isn't cheap so at that point why not just get a budget boost, you know you want one anyway. Getting a leveling kit will allow you to fit 285/75/r16 but you will still have rub doing any kind of off roading. So yes, you can fit 33" tires with proper backspacing, but it's gonna suck offroading unless you by a lift kit or BB.

Next, I need an anwser on 265/75/r16's with 4.5" backspacing. What I know so far is they fit and no problems on the road. But how about off road, any rubbing issues?, if so was it something to be concerned about? What it a minor rub? What kind of off roading are you talking about climbing rocks, or just normal offroading?

thanks for everyones help
Old 10-30-2012, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

I had 265 75r16s on for about 10,000, stock wheels, no offset, 1in spacer lift. It only rubbed the swaybar when aired down.
I would suggest you look at 17 in. wheels with 4.5" offset, 2 in spacer lift. You can do this very cheaply. When (not if) you go taller you can still use the wheels.
My offroading with those tires was climbing rocks, mud and trees.

Last edited by billsjeep; 10-30-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pwain

This might seem a stupid question but does that apply to the whole car or just the wheels and suspension?
Old 10-31-2012, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

This thread is all about lifts and tires. I've always thought The most unanswered question in JK history was "What's that rattling sound?"
Old 10-31-2012, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

I thaught it was what JK stands for lol

Quick Reply: The most unanswered question in JK history. Let’s solve it on this Forum!