Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Most Dangerous Vehicle

Old 06-08-2012, 04:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear impact score surprised me, considering how little damage JK's on here take with a steel rear bumper. I'v seen plenty of car's front ends destroyed when they rear ended a JK with a steel rear bumper. When we armor up our JK's, it's still probably one of the most dangerous vehicles on the road, but only when talking about danger to other drivers .

I actually was almost killed by a Ram 1500 with a steel brushguard when it Tboned my old accord in the drivers side door at 45 mph. His Ram had about $700 in damage, while my Accord had the door ripped out of the hinges and the frame offset by 3-4''. An armored up Jeep on a road full of cars with plastic bumpers and soft crumple zones will definatly be safer for the Jeep driver, so long as you don't hit a solid object, like a wall or another armoed Jeep.

Last edited by Dronac; 06-08-2012 at 04:53 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

Well I just don't get it. How many 4wd vehicles are produced that have the same track width and ride height? I know center of gravity has lots to do with it but come on. I drove my YJ almost 10 years with out the track bar and sway bar and never had any problems and I drive like a nut. The JK is wider and it has all the goodies in place that I removed from my YJ I think it's a load of hooey.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
Agreed. My RR steel front bumper, heavy LOD sliders and adding the 100 pound PSC rear bumper (to replace the 5 pound plastic one), I am guessing that my JKU will hold up better than stock. I'm actually a little worried about the damage that would happen to the vehicle hitting me..I hope I never have to find out though.....
I'm scared of somone pulling out on front of me. If impacted the driver's door, like that Ram did to me, my Rugged Ridge stinger would decapitate the driver. Needless to say, I keep a sharp eye out when I'm driving in traffic.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MrBonus
No, this is simply an anecdote, not a series of tests performed in controlled environments. As the article stated, their rankings are based on numerous points of impact as well as rollover and I don't think it surprises anyone that the Wrangler fares poorly in side-impact or with its ease of rolling over.
Well, that's kind of my point. We don't actually drive our vehicles in "controlled environments". The variety of vehicles, varying speeds, driver experience/reaction, mechanical condition, impact points and weather/road conditions make these evaluations somewhat less relevant in the real world. Insurance companies may find the data useful to quantify insurance rates I suppose and there's always seems to an agenda to push drivers into survivable econoboxes. But if I had been in a Fiat 500 when the semi squarely rear ended me, I don't think I would have driven away uninjured.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I often picture a small Honda or Toyota T-boning me, going under my lifted JKU like a wedge, putting me on my side.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

I will say one positive thing about the article, it didn't classify the Wrangler as an SUV!
Old 06-08-2012, 05:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joesjeeps
Well, that's kind of my point. We don't actually drive our vehicles in "controlled environments". The variety of vehicles, varying speeds, driver experience/reaction, mechanical condition, impact points and weather/road conditions make these evaluations somewhat less relevant in the real world. Insurance companies may find the data useful to quantify insurance rates I suppose and there's always seems to an agenda to push drivers into survivable econoboxes. But if I had been in a Fiat 500 when the semi squarely rear ended me, I don't think I would have driven away uninjured.
^this...

Agenda is the key word. Scare the sheep into driving econoboxes. I rate MSN about as highly as Con-sue-more Reports...
Old 06-08-2012, 07:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most beautiful, the most handy, the most capable, the most versatle, the most trail ready, the most ......
Old 06-08-2012, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Safety depends on mods. I may flip but my ACE sliders will F you up in the process. Same for steel bumper.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joe Boxer
Bad scores for rolling over and an inability to take rear impact...

...sounds like my ex.
Bahahaha...well played sir

Quick Reply: Most Dangerous Vehicle