Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

More talk about "the Jeep wave"

Old 08-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Desert Fox
If you have ever read a book on off roading skills and etiquette, you would see that the "wave," as we now know it, actually started about 50 years ago when Jeeps, or other convoys met each other on narrow trails and the lead drivers would hold up a number of fingers equal to the number of vehicles that were following the lead. So if one convoy/Jeep group had to pull over to let the other group pass, they would have some idea of how many vehicles had to pass and how long they might have to wait. As things developed over the years, everyone in the convoy would hold up the number of fingers of vehicles that were to follow, hence the wave. Now this is complicated when the number is greater than 10. But, in this case, etiquette requires that the two lead vehicles stop side by side and pass the information verbally and that it be further passed to each group by radio if possible. It also precludes the possibility of one Jeep pulling into the middle of an oncoming convoy. Surprise, surprise. With only 10% of so of Jeeps and other SUVs ever going off road, you can expect about 10% of oncoming Jeeps to wave back. BTW, this courtesy is also extended to any vehicle you encounter on the trail, FJs, Broncos, Xterras, trucks, whatever. That's why some are waving at you and wondering why you don't wave back. They have been off road, or at least read the book. If you are interested in more trail etiquette, please let me know.
You couldn't of said it any better! I wave when I can on the streets, but in the dirt I always wave. I also follow the number of vehicles on the finger thing if I am the leader of the pack. Thanks for that post Desert Fox!
Old 08-30-2008, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Its almost funny, but I have always gotten waves. Even when my 06 TJ was new and bone stock, jeepers would wave. But when I got my JK, I would wave and MOST jeepers would just look at me, almost like they were pissed. Long story short, I finally lifted my JK, put on 35's, bumber, winch, etc. and now everybody waves. Like I'm their long lost brother or sumthin. Oh well, guess I'm cool again. lol
Old 08-30-2008, 01:52 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My arm got tired....

The other day, I was coming in the East Gate of Fort Leonard Wood at about 5pm when everybody else was leaving post. 14 waves given and returned, that was a good day! Even got a heavily modded XJ on mudders who waved first! I don't know if having the top and doors off helped!
Old 08-30-2008, 02:10 PM
JK Freak

That's what I like. Jeepers make a huge and nice family
Old 08-30-2008, 09:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HEK
, I even get waves from FJ Cruissers....go figure....
I hope you flipped them the bird! I know I would.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah, I get about 50% waves returned to me. It seems funny when people give me this blank stare or an angry scowl. Then I think to myself, "Well, I wasn't waving at you anyway, I was waving at your jeep, poor thing probably doesn't go off roading."

Then there are times I think that people must think they are really cool getting all these waves and not understanding that it's the Jeep Wave so they don't return it.

Personally, I know I will not get a wave if: 1) It's a Jeep JK. or 2) It's a female driver who looks like they are probably going to dump the Jeep in a lake to get revenge on a boyfriend/husband. I can't explain this one, it just seems like they are angry at the world and it amuses me to think this.

I actually get consistent waves from the older Jeeps. My most favorite wave to date was when I was going to work. I looked like hell, but I was in a clean Jeep I just washed after mudding. Across from me at a red light was a guy in a nice business suit and in a Jeep COVERED in mud. We waved at each other and since we had our top/doors off we could see that we needed to change places.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

'Bout 50/50 here in Oregon (PDX). Mostly it's the older model Jeeps that will wave. JKs rarely do. Even modded JKs will just stare at you... almost as if they're trying to take stock of what you've done to your Jeep to see if you warrant their acknowledgement. whatevah...

My first wave worthy of mention was actually in Spokane. I was driving on the highway with a wide grass median between my 2 lanes and the other direction traffic. This guy in an older Jeep sticks his whole arm out the window... big ol' wave! Was so awesome! My wife and I had big grins for miles. We'd only had the Jeep for a short time at that point and it was really cool.

My last cool significant wave was from a guy in a modded TJ. Both of us had our doors off and he flashed the 'hang loose' out the door frame. Another big grin!
Old 08-31-2008, 02:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amff27
I am a woman and always wave. I find that mostly the four door ones don't wave back. Especially in NY but I travel to Jersey frequently. I deffinately get more waves in NJ.
Yep, us Jersey owners are just a wavey group. Seems like in Jersey almost every Jeep owner waves, almost.

In fact if they don't wave back, it's like you think to yourself maybe they did'nt se me. But you know they did.

So for you guy's and gal's who don't always or never gat a wave.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default one jeep

Originally Posted by Desert Fox
If you have ever read a book on off roading skills and etiquette, you would see that the "wave," as we now know it, actually started about 50 years ago when Jeeps, or other convoys met each other on narrow trails and the lead drivers would hold up a number of fingers equal to the number of vehicles that were following the lead. So if one convoy/Jeep group had to pull over to let the other group pass, they would have some idea of how many vehicles had to pass and how long they might have to wait. As things developed over the years, everyone in the convoy would hold up the number of fingers of vehicles that were to follow, hence the wave. Now this is complicated when the number is greater than 10. But, in this case, etiquette requires that the two lead vehicles stop side by side and pass the information verbally and that it be further passed to each group by radio if possible. It also precludes the possibility of one Jeep pulling into the middle of an oncoming convoy. Surprise, surprise. With only 10% of so of Jeeps and other SUVs ever going off road, you can expect about 10% of oncoming Jeeps to wave back. BTW, this courtesy is also extended to any vehicle you encounter on the trail, FJs, Broncos, Xterras, trucks, whatever. That's why some are waving at you and wondering why you don't wave back. They have been off road, or at least read the book. If you are interested in more trail etiquette, please let me know.

k, so if i am running down the road and my convoy only has one jeep in it I hold up one finger????
Old 09-01-2008, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hawgrider1200
k, so if i am running down the road and my convoy only has one jeep in it I hold up one finger????
Funny! I like it!

Quick Reply: More talk about "the Jeep wave"