Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

More talk about "the Jeep wave"

Old 08-29-2008, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I notice that I seem to get more waves since the lift and new tires from non JK drivers then I did before.

Keep waving, sooner or later they'll all get it

Or wave, and if they don't wave back switch to the finger
Old 08-29-2008, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

As an outsider, what are the rules for non-Wrangler drivers? If I'm in a dirty Patriot do I still get to get in on the Jeep wave or am I too much of a loser?
Old 08-29-2008, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rpiotr01
As an outsider, what are the rules for non-Wrangler drivers? If I'm in a dirty Patriot do I still get to get in on the Jeep wave or am I too much of a loser?
I only wave at CJ, YJ, TJ, & JK
Sorry patriot

When I was at Camp Pendleton nearly everyone waved back.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rpiotr01
You wave to me I'll wave to you!
Old 08-29-2008, 12:56 PM
JK Freak

How many forget they are in a different vehicle, wave and then a strange puzzled look.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile How it all got started

If you have ever read a book on off roading skills and etiquette, you would see that the "wave," as we now know it, actually started about 50 years ago when Jeeps, or other convoys met each other on narrow trails and the lead drivers would hold up a number of fingers equal to the number of vehicles that were following the lead. So if one convoy/Jeep group had to pull over to let the other group pass, they would have some idea of how many vehicles had to pass and how long they might have to wait. As things developed over the years, everyone in the convoy would hold up the number of fingers of vehicles that were to follow, hence the wave. Now this is complicated when the number is greater than 10. But, in this case, etiquette requires that the two lead vehicles stop side by side and pass the information verbally and that it be further passed to each group by radio if possible. It also precludes the possibility of one Jeep pulling into the middle of an oncoming convoy. Surprise, surprise. With only 10% of so of Jeeps and other SUVs ever going off road, you can expect about 10% of oncoming Jeeps to wave back. BTW, this courtesy is also extended to any vehicle you encounter on the trail, FJs, Broncos, Xterras, trucks, whatever. That's why some are waving at you and wondering why you don't wave back. They have been off road, or at least read the book. If you are interested in more trail etiquette, please let me know.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was disappointed, went to colorado a few weeks ago, saw more jeeps than ever and got fewer waves than ever.

My wife she drives the JK, I drive a TJ, she waves at people in other jeeps. But I've noticed around here kids and women usually wave less.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bertjnkns
I was disappointed, went to colorado a few weeks ago, saw more jeeps than ever and got fewer waves than ever.

My wife she drives the JK, I drive a TJ, she waves at people in other jeeps. But I've noticed around here kids and women usually wave less.
Same thing at Silver Lake.
Methinks they would have had VERY tired arms if they kept waving at every passing Jeep.
Then again, most Jeeps there were NOT JKs. Maybe the "JK isn't a Jeep" mentality for the more hardcore Jeepers?
Old 08-29-2008, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bertjnkns

I noticed the same thing when I visited Colorado about one month ago. After the 3rd day there, I think I gave up on waving at others as none of them would wave back. I even had the top down a few times and still did not get any waves. Not sure if they were not waving because I had a four door JK, or not.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZenGirl
I wave and Jeep Chicks too.. THEY ROCK
Yeah, Jeep Chicks Rock!!

I wave at all wranglers: CJ, YJ, JK and barely get any waves back, even from other identical JK's to mine. Go figure.

My family also likes to do the wave. We are driving down the highway, topless and all of us lift our arms up and wave as another Jeeper goes by. The kids love it.

Quick Reply: More talk about "the Jeep wave"