Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Mopar to offer Dana 60 for the JK

Old 06-04-2008, 03:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by biglynny
I'm not sure I've ever seen one fail-is it a freak thing ? Or, if you hit them just right are they likely to fail? Wow.
They can break, like anything if you wheel it hard enough, take a wrong line, lead foot when you shouldn't, etc anything will have a weak point sooner or later.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Ben
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Littlejon
They are just rebranded Dynatracs. Last I knew to get one directly from them was like $3,000, so once you get past the Mopar mark up it will probably be closer to $4,000 and you will only be able to run a 5x5.5 bolt pattern on the rear. I would save the money and go with Currie in the back and pocket the coupls thousand in savings, and then you can still run a 5x5 on the rear.
Well I am not planning on upgrading till my stock tires die anyways, I will have plenty of time to think about it, (and hopefully hear more opinions!) when stock tires die, omg time for lift axles and bigger tires!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 06:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are just rebranded Dynatracs. Last I knew to get one directly from them was like $3,000, so once you get past the Mopar mark up it will probably be closer to $4,000 and you will only be able to run a 5x5.5 bolt pattern on the rear. I would save the money and go with Currie in the back and pocket the coupls thousand in savings, and then you can still run a 5x5 on the rear.
I'm not convinced that all the D60s that Jeep is putting in the J8 are rebranded Dynatracs. That would turn that company into a parts supplier for an egyptian built jeep. I can see them supplying them for the Detroit proto-types but that is all. As far as the 5 on 5.5, Jeep should never got away from that. Also, if people go with the Spyntec on the front, it would match. They could also use spacers on the front as well so I don't see that as a big deal. I have a picture of one of the mopar rear d60s and it doesn't look like a dynatrac to me.

Last edited by Blue; 06-06-2008 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
you can do a HP60 front/ LP60 rear for 1500 or so (if you look)another 1,000 for bracketry

another 250 for hummer beadlocks

another 500 for steering

Another 750ish for beef driveshafts.

and you're now on TRUE 1 tons.

i'll pass on the mopar option. But cool if they offer it.

What would you do about the electronics? I think that's the only thing stopping me from having junkyard beef.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
Ah this is a good point. my .02. if i'm to the point of adding D60's, they'll also have ARB's and i'll be on 40" tires.

Yep, you'd need them from losing the ground clearance from adding the 60's.

At that point i'm not worried about ESP or ABS. I'd have the Dealer disable it (not that it would matter).

but very good point.

Can they do that? That would open some possibilities.

my other thought is i wonder what 60 is going into the JK's. I'd bet they're 30 spline. I'd want 1 ton 35 spline HD60's. If you're going to go 30 spline in the back, i'd just leave the D44.
Yeah, prob. 30 spline. That would suck. I really think the JK rear 44 is pretty stout, especially if you add a truss. Haven't really heard of much rear breakage.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:07 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Blue
I'm not convinced that all the D60s that Jeep is putting in the J8 are rebranded Dynatracs. That would turn that company into a parts supplier for an egyptian built jeep. I can see them supplying them for the Detroit proto-types but that is all. As far as the 5 on 5.5, Jeep should never got away from that. Also, if people go with the Spyntec on the front, it would match. They could also use spacers on the front as well so I don't see that as a big deal. I have a picture of one of the mopar rear d60s and it doesn't look like a dynatrac to me.
These are the same ones they have shown at EJS and said were going to be the mopar ones. They have a Dynatrac label on the pumpkin, and on the end of each axleshaft. The ones being used in the J8 are not going to be put on rock crawling duties, or going through mud pits. The J8 is more for loads that the military would e carrying. They both may run a Dana 60, but they are each designed for their own thing.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:02 PM
JK Freak

These are the same ones they have shown at EJS and said were going to be the mopar ones. They have a Dynatrac label on the pumpkin, and on the end of each axleshaft. The ones being used in the J8 are not going to be put on rock crawling duties, or going through mud pits. The J8 is more for loads that the military would e carrying. They both may run a Dana 60, but they are each designed for their own thing.
That seems to conflict with the info and description here http://blogs.fourwheeler.com/6231741...-60/index.html

Also, the one in the pics you posted looks different than this one. I think it may actually be an cost effective way to get a rear d60, otherwise why go through Crappler Corp to get a dynatrac when you can get one cheaper elsewhere or go with Curries front and rear.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

Don't forget Solid, they are really close to having 60's out
Old 06-08-2008, 06:21 PM
JK Junkie

I would put more weight on what Mopar is showing under their sign, than what they are installing on their vehicles. Most of their vehicles are running a superlift suspension, bu they are selling a rubicon express kit. Seems they have been showing some differences between what they want on their vehicles, and what they want to sell
Old 10-17-2008, 06:34 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Here is an update about the MOPAR 60

I got this from a website for 4wheelersupply, a local Jeep parts seller/builder in the Springfield, MO area. His view on the MOPAR Dana 60:

The Mopar Dana 60 was released at the end of last week, part number P5155083. We have one on the way to check it out.

It comes in cheaper than any of the aftermarket options. Our concerns are:
Spline count
Locker type
Tube thickness
Gear availability
Yoke availability

We will know and post more by the end of the week.

Update:

This axle does not have a locker
This axle does have huge brakes compared to the stock JK
This axle uses c-clip axles!
The brakes use a different retainer than the stock, so you cannot swap these brakes on to your stock axle
This axle appears to have a 5×5.5 lug pattern
This axle is set up for leaf spring (spring under) suspension
It looks like this is the direct replacement for the J8 rear axle
Overview:
This is still a Dana 60, so it would be a good upgrade from the stock Dana 44. The downsides are listed above. Our preference is still to build a SOLID® brand Dana 60 for the JK. After installing a locker, gears and yoke the price is about the same. Also, the SOLID® Dana 60 uses chromolly 35 spline non-c-clip shafts and is high-pinion for more ground clearance. We will be building a set of SOLID® 60s for our JK this winter, check back here for updates on that project.

Quick Reply: Mopar to offer Dana 60 for the JK