Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Which model do I need?

Old 11-21-2008, 12:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the X would work just great for what it sounds like you want to do with it.Plus i don't think you need to worry about a regear. if you go with a 6-speed just get the towing package (gives you the 373 gears) which sounds like you would be getting the tow pkg. anyways for what you want to do.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:12 AM
JK Jedi

I think the X would do everything you require, especially with the better/bigger tires. The gear issue is worth considering, but it is largely subjective based on what your expectations are. If you're buying a base X, then you could still come out well ahead cost-wise even if you feel the need to re-gear for bigger tires, you may not even need to as many are satisfied with the 3.73's and 33" tires. I would avoid the 3.21 gears though.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:41 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

An X will easily do what you want. But, I have the 4.10s (could get them on '07 models, if you're thinking of buying used) with 33s on my own. I definitely would not want any taller gears. You will feel it on the Interstate.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:47 AM
JK Newbie

Needs and wants are two different things. Get what you want. If you can swing the cash, get the Rubicon. That’s what I did. Haven’t regretted it, never looked back!
Old 11-21-2008, 03:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by odin725
I think the X would work just great for what it sounds like you want to do with it.Plus i don't think you need to worry about a regear. if you go with a 6-speed just get the towing package (gives you the 373 gears) which sounds like you would be getting the tow pkg. anyways for what you want to do.
I was going to say to get the towing package, but you beat me too it. lol.

The X should do all that you need it to do. The Rubicon is just freakin awesome, but from the sounds of it you won't be disappointed with the X at all. All Wranglers are VERY capable.

Except the 2WD models. (I almost forgot that they made them for a min there)
Old 11-21-2008, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info. The extent of mods would probably be 2.5 lift, 33's, tinted windows (not front two) to hide guns, ammo, etc... from general public, hitch rack and maybe an aftermarket exhaust. Otherwise it will spend a lot of time in the woods, dirt roads, as well as a pavement pounder. Also, it's sure hard to find used jk from what I'm gathering. I could swing a new left-over 08, but I will not buy an 09. If I could find a used 07 x with 6spd and tow package I would make an offer.

Thanks
Old 11-21-2008, 07:06 AM
JK Super Freak

If I would have bought a Rubi, the it would have been a waste of money as everything that makes a Rubi a Rubi would be replaced. Get the X and use the money you've saved to build your Jeep.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by eDiveBuddy
If I would have bought a Rubi, the it would have been a waste of money as everything that makes a Rubi a Rubi would be replaced. Get the X and use the money you've saved to build your Jeep.
I agree. I got the Sahara over the X and Rubicon only because I got a great deal on it. Find a dealer who has a left over 2008 (prob won't find a Rubicon) and talk the price down. Then with the money you saved you can build it up specifically to your needs. Remember there are so many stock parts in the for sale section.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:25 AM
Ben
JK Freak

x2 the x is fine but avoid the 3.21 gears at all costs! they are a pain on road and off... and that is with the stock 32" tires. Even in 4lo 1st gear there are times that it doesn't crawl slow enough and that I have to stay on the gas going up a steep hill, and I hate doing that. I need control!

IN fact, the gearing is the only thing that makes me regret getting my x. I could regear, but then I might as well throw in lockers while i am at it, and I might as well upgrade to the rubi diffs for that much money, I should have just started with a rubi since the wildest I will ever go is 2.5" 33x12.5's with stock wheels/spacers.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

H2

Quick Reply: Which model do I need?