Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Which model do I need?

Old 11-20-2008, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which model do I need?

I thought I had to have a rubicon, but maybe not. The vehicle would be used for commuting 25 miles per day and also for a lot of hunting. It would need to be capable of going down dirt roads and snow-covered, snow packed fields and roads. Luxury items are not important at all. I absolutely must have a 4 door. I would probably put a 2.5" lift and bfg at's or similiar. Thanks
Old 11-20-2008, 04:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With a lift and bigger tires you'll need to regear, so you'll want to factor that into the $ equation. I'd say with the lift, tires and gears you'll be well capable with any of the 4x4 models (yes they make a 2wd).
Old 11-20-2008, 04:15 PM
JK Newbie

I planned on 2.5" lift and 33's. I was more concerned with which model. Would the X model with D30/D44 be plenty for what I'm looking to do? Right now I have a 99 cherokee with HP30 and C8.25 in the rear and it will do everything I need. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:15 PM
JK Freak

I would go with the rubicon
Old 11-20-2008, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

It boils down to what you want to spend... The Rubicon is pretty tricked out with all kinds of stuff and you're going to pay for it....do you really need it???

Doesn't sound like you do. For what you intend on using your Jeep for the X will be just fine. Go with the X model and use the extra cash you would have spent on the Rubicon for the lift, tires, and some other mods...believe me there will be other mods that you find you just have to have after surfing this site!

Good luck & let us know what you decide on. With the car industry the way it is right now you should be able to get a good deal on what ever you decide.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:58 PM
JK Freak

Buy the Rubicon and call it a day. I don't think you will find many that bought a Rubicon and regreted it.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I can gather I would get the X. You don't need anything too crazy. For it's money the Rubicon is worth every penny don't get me wrong... but it just doesn't seem like you need it. Heck you can always get Rubicon parts from guys here who are beefing theirs up and getting rid of the stock parts.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Get the rubicon, you can get 4:10 gears with it and not the other, that will allow you to run 33" tires and won't force you to regear until you really feel the need. It also gets you the lower geared transfer case 44's in the front as well as the back.

4:10's will also help you in trailering a rig for hunting and dragging the carcass (sp) back, plus there are lots of other reasonable reasons. One being Rubicon has higher resale value.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4x4jkx
From what I can gather I would get the X. You don't need anything too crazy. For it's money the Rubicon is worth every penny don't get me wrong... but it just doesn't seem like you need it. Heck you can always get Rubicon parts from guys here who are beefing theirs up and getting rid of the stock parts.
I have to agree 100%. The X is just as capable as the Rubicon for the type of driving you are planning on doing. Even if you want to get a little more extreme with offroading, my feelings are unless you are a die-hard off-roader, the most basic of 4x4 JK's can handle some pretty rough stuff. Besides, the extra money you would spend on the Rubi could go towards your lift, tires and rims which would give you more of a custom look that a stock Rubi.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does need have to do with anything? Get the Rubi, you will love it.

Ok, from what you said, the X would also do fine, I doubt you would be disappointed. And with a 2 1/2 in. lift and 33's don't worry about regearing, you will be fine with the gears it comes with.

Quick Reply: Which model do I need?