Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Mobile 1 Getting Scarce

Old 11-17-2008, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile 1 Getting Scarce

Time for an oil change and seems Mobile 1 is the most preferred oil from opinions on the forum. However, can't find any. Somethng to do with one of the hurricanes in the Gulf this year affected their refinery. So, what are the opinions for 2nd choice? Castrol? Penzoil? Full syn of course.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:19 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by txspud
Time for an oil change and seems Mobile 1 is the most preferred oil from opinions on the forum. However, can't find any. Somethng to do with one of the hurricanes in the Gulf this year affected their refinery. So, what are the opinions for 2nd choice? Castrol? Penzoil? Full syn of course.
I went to a Wallmart and got the same story. Went to another one a few miles away and they had plenty.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by txspud
Castrol Syntec is almost as good..

There was an independent study that tested 16 or 17 oils that showed Amsoil gave the best protection against wear, Mobil 1 a close second, and Castrol Syntec an even closer third... Penzoil was middle of the road for synths, and Royal Purple an Lucas rated worse then the top dinos.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Yeah...I'm going to go Full Synthetic oil...Castrol or Royal purple...
Old 11-17-2008, 06:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hig4s
Castrol Syntec is almost as good..

There was an independent study that tested 16 or 17 oils that showed Amsoil gave the best protection against wear, Mobil 1 a close second, and Castrol Syntec an even closer third... Penzoil was middle of the road for synths, and Royal Purple an Lucas rated worse then the top dinos.
Any place where this study is posted on the net? I'd very much like to read it and see all the oil results.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldn't switch to some other oil if you have been running Mobil 1. If you have been running it just look around and find it somewhere else. Its out there just gotta look for it. My 2 cents.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:51 PM
JK Freak

Went to 2 Walmarts for Mobil Synthetic 5/20. Neither had it. Used 5/30 weight instead.
Now anytime in discount stores, will look and buy 5/20.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GreytSilly
Any place where this study is posted on the net? I'd very much like to read it and see all the oil results.

The test from 2003 is on many of the Amsoil sites, seeing they came out #1

There is also the gear oil test
/www.synthetic-oil-tech.com/Gear%20Lube%20White%20Paper.pdf

Quick Reply: Mobile 1 Getting Scarce