Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Moab info request

Old 12-02-2007, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moab info request

We may be driving to Salt Lake this summer to visit some past neighbors. If I get that close I must go to Moab. The time will be right after July 4. Most likely a week day. 4 Door JK will probably still be sitting on stock 32" minivan tires w/ 3.73's. I will have Shrock rails and an oil pan skid by then. Do you have suggestions of some trails that I might find interesting? I'm looking for trails that would challenge but do not require lockers front and rear. I would even look into a suggested 4x4 trail guide/company, if you can suggest one.
Please do consider, I am very experienced with Jeeps off road and not a beginner. I will be carrying the tools, and replacement parts, necessary to fix or extract my Jeep
Thanks in advance,
Old 12-02-2007, 04:40 PM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are tons of trails/roads/goat paths around the Moab area. Get the guide book by Charles Wells, "Moab UT Backroads and 4wd Trails" and start studying. Lots of fun stuff around Arches National Park that won't beat up a stock vehicle.

July? Take plenty of water. Also a good idea to let someone know where you plan to ride. No cell coverage out there.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by whatroads
I would even look into a suggested 4x4 trail guide/company, if you can suggest one.
Go to danmick.com. I can only think of one or two people alive right now that know the area around Moab better than Dan. Not only does he know the area, he is one HELL of a driver. I've run into him a time or two on the trails and he's always been a good guy.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CJK
No cell coverage out there.
I've always thought that cells should be used only for emergency reasons on the trail, but just to let you know, as long as you have line of site with the La Sal mountains, you'll have reception. There are cell towers up on Bald Mesa on the north side of the middle group of the mountains. If you can't see the mountains from where you are at, just go for a short hike to the highest point you can SAFELY get to and you should be able to get some reception.

Last edited by Goose; 12-02-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:49 PM
JK Freak

I have used the Wells guides also. they have gps and simple easy to follow maps. The trail to twin Gemini is fun and scenic. you can drive on top of the archway. It is a fun experience that they are trying to close. The canyon below is Bull canyon also a fun trail for a stock jeep. There is a fun trail in Arches that goes to Tower arche and the Eye of the whale trail. Not real technical but fun and scenic. There are a few ledges and some sand but very doable in stock form.Dan Mick is probably the best there is as far as guids go. He is most likely not cheap but would be a hoot to spend the day with. The Red Rock Four Wheelers jeep safari newspaper is also informative. Good Luck, hope you get a chance to come and play..

Last edited by capt scotty; 12-02-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank-you for the quick replies. I will order the Charles Wells book today. Time to start studying some of the leads you provided

Quick Reply: Moab info request