Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Mapping N. California through Oregon to Washington advice..

Old 03-06-2021, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Mapping N. California through Oregon to Washington advice..

Wasn't sure where to place this.
Years ago I read a story about driving pretty much all off-road from Northern California through (the off-road part) Oregon to Washington. Something like 900 miles. Can't seem to find any info now. Any suggestions on how to map a trip like this? When I eventually come home for good I plan on taking a long road trip or trail trip. I am kind of planning something like starting on the Mojave road, Sand Hallow, Moab then over to the Rubicon Trail. And then through Oregon on the trails and service roads on my way to Washington to visit some old friends. Thanks
Old 03-07-2021, 06:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

You might check out the Backcountry Discovery Routes (BDR). I know that the Arizona, Nevada and Idaho BDRs are designed to allow a full run, border to border. Oregon BDR is a weird one because it was made by one guy before the whole BDR concept came together. He sells those routes separately from the rest of the BDR program that Touratech is putting together*. So, not sure they ever worked that into the master plan. Don't let the ADV bike business fool you. The overwhelming majority of these routes is two track. Video teaser from when I ran the Washington BDR a few years ago ...

EDIT: BTW, the CABDR does join up with the NVBDR near Death Valley. So, perhaps that would interest you. One problem, you're running through the heat of summer in order to complete the route over mountain passes in Nevada. They may or may not be open in cooler months. Check with me in a couple weeks and I'll let you know!

Touratech's .gpx files are free online, and they sell awesome vinyl maps that are must buys. You can also view their videos about the routes on Amazon for a few bucks.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 03-07-2021 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
You might check out the Backcountry Discovery Routes (BDR). I know that the Arizona, Nevada and Idaho BDRs are designed to allow a full run, border to border. Oregon BDR is a weird one because it was made by one guy before the whole BDR concept came together. He sells those routes separately from the rest of the BDR program that Touratech is putting together*. So, not sure they ever worked that into the master plan. Don't let the ADV bike business fool you. The overwhelming majority of these routes is two track. Video teaser from when I ran the Washington BDR a few years ago ...

EDIT: BTW, the CABDR does join up with the NVBDR near Death Valley. So, perhaps that would interest you. One problem, you're running through the heat of summer in order to complete the route over mountain passes in Nevada. They may or may not be open in cooler months. Check with me in a couple weeks and I'll let you know!

Touratech's .gpx files are free online, and they sell awesome vinyl maps that are must buys. You can also view their videos about the routes on Amazon for a few bucks.

https://youtu.be/JC9zkyXvaik?list=PL...VTiB1Rdvx80ptb
Thanks Mark, I found the the old site I had seen years ago. Oregon Back Country Discovery (oohva.org). Looking at USDA now. I'm not even sure when I'll be back stateside so no starting time yet. Will definitely keep the time of year in mind.
The following users liked this post:
Mark Doiron (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 12:50 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011oscarmike
Thanks Mark, I found the the old site I had seen years ago. Oregon Back Country Discovery (oohva.org). Looking at USDA now. I'm not even sure when I'll be back stateside so no starting time yet. Will definitely keep the time of year in mind.
Spoke over a online meeting with a friend of mine who lives in Henderson just yesterday (we have a group preparing for the NVBDR in a couple weeks). He scouted out the Spring Mountains east of the NVBDR at Pahrump. He said that even to over 8000 feet there was only minor amounts of snow. Of course, that depends on the weather each year, and they've had a somewhat dry winter.

Quick Reply: Mapping N. California through Oregon to Washington advice..