Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Manual Transmission Question

Old 12-17-2009, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Transmission Question

I've been lurking on these forums for a bit while saving up for a new JK...it will most likely be an Unlimited...but even that decision keeps changing daily.

To make matters worse, I am confused by the manual transmission on the JK. I was really hoping to get the 6-speed manual, but not so sure after actually driving one.

I test drove a manual Unlimited this past weekend and the first thing I noticed was that the shifter vibrates a ton...almost to the point where my hand felt like it would go numb.

Also, there were a couple times where the shifter (while in gear) moved back and forth/left and right. It probably moved at least an inch or two while in gear. I asked the salesperson if this was normal and he wasn't 100% sure. After the test drive ended I asked some other people there about it, and they said it was normal, but that they would drive it themselves to check it out.

Well, I didn't end up buying that JK as I couldn't decide if was normal or not...

So, I researched this site and it seems like this is normal for a Jeep...still hard for me to believe...but people here don't seem to mind the shaking and moving of the shifter.

However, when I spoke with two of my colleagues that both own 2-door JKs with the manual tranny, they both said that their shifters were "normal"...no extreme vibrations and definitely no moving around. They also said that maybe they're so used to it now that they can't tell...but they didn't think the stick shift was any different from other cars they have driven (Hondas, BMWs, etc.).

So...my question to everyone is this...who's right??? Shaking/vibrating/moving stick shifts are normal...or that dealership has a flawed JK that they are trying to sell me???

To add to my problem is the lack of 6-speed MT Unlimiteds in my area...so, I found a few 2-doors with stick, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:19 PM
JK Jedi

I've never driven a brand new JK, so I can't comment on the one at the dealership you're talking about. But in the past, we did trade for a couple of 2007 JK Unlimiteds with a manual (figures that would happen after I bought my Sahara auto), but when I drove both those JKs, both shifters did seem to have some amount of "play" in them while in gear. Can't say I noticed any extraordinary amount of shaking though. Someone that owns a manual JK might have a better answer for you :-).
Old 12-17-2009, 05:21 PM
JK Freak

I have an 07 unlimited and the shifter does move around a bit. I have not had any problems with it like slipping out of gear. What you see when you look at the shifter can be deceiving. There is quite a bit of room between the bottom of the shifter boot and the actual transmission. The transmission will move a bit on it's mounts and that is what you are most likely noticing. As for the vibrating, comes with the territory as far as I'm concerned. Others who will chime in may have differing/ better explanations. Welcome to the forums.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 09 right off the light wiggled. I shift and let go of the shifter, doesn't bother me a bit.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it stops moving...then you worry.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 08 Unlimited with a manual tranny with no issues. I traded in a 330i BMW for my Jeep and can't say I notice any difference in the shift other than the loger throw. The power and handling aren't even close but that isn't why you buy a Jeep. As far as the shifter, no issues here.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Many of us have asked for a short throw shifter in the past, bit so far nothing.

There is a lot of movement, and don't expect to be able to row it through the gears real fast either.

I still love my 6spd though, after a while you can find all the little idiosyncracies.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:46 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Any stick shift that is mounted directly to the transmission will move, due to the engine and transmission having rubber mounts. It's normal.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Like Ronjenx said, the JK's shifter is mounted directly to the transmission. Most cars mount the shifter to a bracket then use linkages or cables to connect the transmission. Due to this any movement the transmission gets from the engine, driveline, or bumps in the suspension are transmitted to the shifter. Its normal, and on road, up to about 1.5" movement is not uncommon. Off road, in rough terrain, it can and will move more to the point where you can't really keep your hand on it.

You really shouldn't keep your hand on the shifter anyways because it can cause extra wear on the shift forks inside the transmission.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:02 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

My stick shift has a lot of play. But no more so than some of the other manual transmission vehicles I've driven over the past four-plus decades (pretty much all I've ever owned are manuals). That doesn't mean that there aren't vehicles with much better shifters--there certainly are. If that's important to you, you probably don't want a manual tranny.

But, the biggest complaint that folks have posted on this forum about the shifter is not the play, it's not the vibration of the knob (mine doesn't, BTW, so don't know why the one you test drove did), and it's not falling out of gear (though some do). It's the fact that in cold weather second gear is extremely cranky. Get used to when making that first-second shift, to pausing for a second or two (literally--most people underestimate how long that really is), then having it still grind gears slightly when you push it into second. This will cease once the tranny warms up--which is long after the engine coolant has reached normal operating temperature--probably 20-30 minutes of driving if really cold soaked.

Regardless of these quirks, the manual transmission, as is almost always the case, is a much better driving experience and affords the operator much greater control of the vehicle. It also allows the operator to push start the vehicle, should the need arise (say, you left the radio playing all night while camped at Grand Canyon's Tuweep and there isn't another vehicle for miles). Finally, remember: Stall happens. If you four wheel a manual vehicle, be prepared to have to restart the engine on some difficult obstacles. In 4WD low, you don't have to push in the clutch.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 12-18-2009 at 04:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Question