Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

manual transmission driving

Old 03-28-2007, 04:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual transmission driving

This is going to sound like a silly question, but oh well...

i am 100% sure that i will be getting the 6 speed trans in my jk when i get it. i just recently learned how to drive a stick and there is no way i am going back to an auto again.

this was the layout of the stick i drove (pt cruiser, blah)

1 3 5

2 4 R

the clutch also had this point where it would clikc in or pop at its friction point.

my question is how does the wrangler compare to this? i know the layout is

1 3 5

2 4 6 R

on the 5 speed, there was no problem downshifting since a straight back shift would send it down to 4. on the 6 speed, is it any harder to find the gears? i guess im just worried ill be in 6th gear and when i go to downshift ill drop it too low, into 3, for example. same thing with going from 5th to 6th, im worried all throw it in Reverse (i have already been told this feels very different to the point where you know your going in reverse).

any pointers for hte new stick shift driver? test driving is horrible, it makes me nervous using my elementary stick driving skills with the dealer riding with us...
Old 03-28-2007, 06:15 AM
HEK
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jamesbob220
This is going to sound like a silly question, but oh well...

i am 100% sure that i will be getting the 6 speed trans in my jk when i get it. i just recently learned how to drive a stick and there is no way i am going back to an auto again.

this was the layout of the stick i drove (pt cruiser, blah)

1 3 5

2 4 R

the clutch also had this point where it would clikc in or pop at its friction point.

my question is how does the wrangler compare to this? i know the layout is

1 3 5

2 4 6 R

on the 5 speed, there was no problem downshifting since a straight back shift would send it down to 4. on the 6 speed, is it any harder to find the gears? i guess im just worried ill be in 6th gear and when i go to downshift ill drop it too low, into 3, for example. same thing with going from 5th to 6th, im worried all throw it in Reverse (i have already been told this feels very different to the point where you know your going in reverse).

any pointers for hte new stick shift driver? test driving is horrible, it makes me nervous using my elementary stick driving skills with the dealer riding with us...

Coming from driving VTEC engines I had to get used to shifting at or around
2k RPM and have had no problems engaging every gear. I also noticed that if I go over 2500 RPM I can skip a gear.
I get good acceleration if I shift at 2500 RPMS as when you go into the next gear the RPM's don't drop below 2k....
No grinds in 3200 miles...... and today the computer read "avg mpg 23.8"....I hope so..
Old 03-28-2007, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't worry about going to Reverse while driving forward. There should be a mechanical lock that will prevent you going from 5th to reverse....you can't shift there even if you want to.

As far as finding the right gear, i think JK has an awesome manual trans. I used to drive a 6 Speed Acura CL, one of the best manual trans out there, and i still can enjoy the JK's trans just as much. Manual is the way to drive

Advise: just take it slowly, and learn the shift pattern as you go. You'll get used to it in no time

Quick Reply: manual transmission driving