Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Man the Jeep world has changed...

Old 08-14-2009, 10:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated before in this thread. The 4 doors have attracted a lot more people and people have different taste. The large rims are just popular right now. Chrysler is just trying to make what the buyers want, trying to make money. Plain and simple. Soon as the value of used JKs come down you will see a lot more "hardcore" mods. It is all about money, who has it and who don't.

What I want to add is this did NOT start with the JK. The pic below is factory. And proves my point(s).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	shame.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	28586  

Last edited by toymaster; 08-14-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:45 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toymaster
As stated before in this thread. The 4 doors have attracted a lot more people and people have different taste. The large rims are just popular right now. Chrysler is just trying to make what the buyers want, trying to make money. Plain and simple. Soon as the value of used JKs come down you will see a lot more "hardcore" mods. It is all about money, who has it and who don't.

What I want to add is this did NOT start with the JK. The pic below is factory. And proves my point(s).

sorry but.........DAMN THAT'S UGLY...!!!
Old 08-15-2009, 01:59 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

... The pic below is factory. And proves my point(s).

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
sorry but.........DAMN THAT'S UGLY...!!!
Now I know what would happen if a JK and a Scion mated. Some things are just plain unnatural.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:23 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Now I know what would happen if a JK and a Scion mated. Some things are just plain unnatural.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beel_MT

Another troll on how the JK ruined everyone's fun? Gee, haven't seen this topic before.

Yesterday I saw a TJ in the store parking lot with chrome bumpers and other smaller pieces that had been chromed such as the windshield hinges. I'll have to watch for him and get a picture.

I've also seen an all white TJ that was lowered on little skinny tires. None of this is new, you simply have something new to blame for the deviations from what's considered "cool".

Beel

Well put Beel!
Old 08-16-2009, 09:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First, welcome to JK-Forum. It's always good to have another member.

I know that the new JK is perhaps the most popular selling version of the Wrangler in years, perhaps ever. However there were reasons for some of the decisions Jeep made. The larger wheels were designed to clear the larger brake calipers. Most 15" rims will not fit on a JK and those that do are either hit-or-miss or require grinding on the calipers themselves. Which is a dangerous prospect.

A simple check of the "Moddified" section of the board will show numerous threads devoted to trying to make smaller wheels fit. Both for aestetics and due to the cheaper cost of wheels.

The JK is, still, relativly new. There are more and more extreme products coming out for it every day. From heavy duty roll cages to dual battery trays. Here's a list of some of the more probable reasons you don't see many "hard core" JK's.

1.) Warrenty - The JK has the best warrenty ever offered in a Jeep and many people are concerned about voiding it.

2.) Parts - The JK is new. While the aftermarket parts selection is getting larger every day there simply are not as many "performance" parts available as there are for older Jeeps. See reason 1 for a possible cause of this.

3.) It's fine as it is. To be honest, the JK is probably the best Jeep built to date. With options like electronic swaybar disconnects, built in lockers, and a 4.10 gear ratio there's just not a lot wrong with it from the factory other than the plastic bumpers.

I remember the same arguments when the YJ came out. "Real Jeeps don't have square headlights" was the mantra of the day. The the TJ came out. I remember that year vividly. I was at the Kentucky/Daniel Boone Jeep Jamboree when the engineers and marketing guys were out testing the then unknown TJ. Everyone who looked at it was complaining about how coils suspensions were going to ruin everything. Now the TJ is widely regarded to be the best Jeep has built to date, a perfect blend of modern suspension tech with the reliability of the 4.0L I6.

Give it time.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:11 AM
JK Super Freak

That exact model jeep is for sale at a used car dealer in my town - even the same color. I thought it was some sort of aftermarket kit or something ...
Old 08-16-2009, 11:11 AM
JK Freak

i think a lot of it is driver/owner personality. i think the huge wheels and thin tires suck, but i ain't paying for them. as for bling there is none and won't be. here again a personality thing. i didn't buy the jeep for attention, it was bought for ME, because I wanted it. if someone dosen't like the way I put it together, They can look the other way. until They make some payments on it their opinion is irrelevant.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

Yea, that about sums it up.

Quick Reply: Man the Jeep world has changed...