Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Man the Jeep world has changed...

Old 08-13-2009, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I want 15s haha...but im worried about rubbing on the calipers. I'll probably go with 16X8s or 16X9s.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:18 AM
JK Freak

To each his own i guess. I'm more function than show, but with the JKs Jeep welcomed a whole new market esp. with the power doors and windows. That was a big turn off for most people, not so with the tradionalist jeep owner. Thats my take on it for the most part. This is my first Jeep and happier than a pig in sh^t with it. I didnt get power anything, when I told my buddy I bought one he laughed and said great a yuppy jeep. Until he saw I got half doors and a soft top and I did the same exact trail he did with a modded TJ. I also think that 17 rims are starting or is the new 15 rims due to the bigger tires we are able to put under our jeeps and still use them as DD's without that squishy feeling.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:45 AM
JK Super Freak

I come from the TJ background as well. I now have a JK. I can personally tell you that my JK has no chrome on it, or big wheels, and I wheel the hell out of it because I know its purpose.

Let that soak in..."I know its purpose."

Now, I can confidently say that at least 90% of the people on this site do not have huge wheels and/or are chromed out from wheels to grills and door handles. Just go throw the show & tell forum and you'll be shown just how insane us JK-ers are.

However, there are those percentage of posers who "do not know the [true] purpose" of a Jeep. And I call them posers because the people who deck their Jeeps out with huge wheels and a bunch of chrome and rarely if ever see a speck of dirt simply wanted to be apart -- to fit in -- with an adventurous and original community of great people and bad a$$ people with the sickest rigs in the world: stock or modified. But they still have the perception that a Jeep is still just another SUV that can be blinged because they think it's "cool."

In their defense, a Jeep can technically be modified how "cool" you want it to be. But us JK-ers and the Jeep community in general, we know how to wheel and how to respectfully conquer Mother Nature.

PS -- I come from N. Scottsdale. You won't believe how many JK-ers look at me funny when I give them the wave. But I still do it and get plenty in return.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tacoma750
Man I want 15s haha...but im worried about rubbing on the calipers. I'll probably go with 16X8s or 16X9s.
16's on the JK, in my opinion, are the new 15's. I think they look perfect and you'll still have plenty of protection from tire to ground. Just wanted to back up your decision.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Mine is still stock, but if I were to upgrade wheels, I would probably go down to a 16" wheel, I would not go up, that is for sure. I will go with larger tires on my stock 17" wheels.

It is sometimes mentioned that the JK is not true Jeep because of the advancements in technology, power this and that, I don't buy into it. It is the progression of Jeep. Some of it is innovative, some of it is because they have too, (ie Govt. Regs.)

My Jeep background started with friends in CJ's, went to the military where my National Guard unit had MJ's, then when I got back from AIT, I bought a YJ. Had a WJ. Got a JK. I would like to restore a CJ8 Scrambler. I see the JK's just the next step of progression.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Didn't the previous generation of Wranglers also have power windows, locks, cruise control, A/C, etc ???? Could have sworn I have seen them fully loaded like that.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

The only "chrome" on my Jeep is the wheels, and that was only because I liked the chrome version of my wheels I got better than the black. And yes, they do have some rock rash accents

I stuck with 17" rims because I thought with 35" tires, they were a good match of enough wheel, but plenty of rubber look.
I think the reverse can be goofy looking as well....tiny wheel with lots of rubber....okay, not as goofy as huge ass wheel with hardly any rubber on a Jeep, but....

I bought my Jeep to take it off road...it may be my daily driver, but it is far more at home when it gets to go off road.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:40 PM
JK Freak

Default Damn

So much for the "Larado" making a come back. Although it was real chrome and not that chrome plastic which adorns my Tacoma.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:58 PM
JK Super Freak

YJ Renegade.......
Old 08-13-2009, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tacoma750
I come from a TJ jeep world....MAN the JK world is different. We never thought of running blinged out 18s or 20s. What is it about the JKs that people love putting chromed out, huge wheels on them? I know the JK is a bulkier Jeep, so I guess the argument is that bigger wheels look better. But anyway, I just wanted to know whats happened to Jeep Modders;and since when are huge and sometimes gaudy wheels the way to go? Im not meaning to be a jerk, just wondering what changed between 2006 and 2007 haha. Discuss!!
2 more doors.

Quick Reply: Man the Jeep world has changed...