Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Man i love my jeep...but dont understand some things these days.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepmedic308
I joined this forum a month ago after buying my jk and was amazed to find theres so many people that really hate on the 4 doors and jks in general. I understand that the jk brought in a ton of new people that dont really care about the tradition of the wave and the jeep itself but i think its our job as jeep owners to educate the new guys on jeep tradition haha...not just get pissed off at them because they dont wave and then take it out on other jeepers lol. Thats all i have to say...sorry if this doesnt make much sense but ive had a few beers tonight haha
Well said!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Didn't they last about 10 years?
yeah ur right...i forgot about the 80s...i was thinking 90-95
Old 06-06-2011, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepmedic308
Ive been fortunate enought to own a few different jeeps. My dad had an old cj5 and cj7 when i was growing up so i got to help him with some stuff and hit the trails when he went. When i was 16 i bought a 93 yj and then traded it in for a 2001 tj when i was 20. I sold it(one of the biggest mistakes ever) before going to iraq and 5 years later decided to get rid of my dodge for a 2011 4 door jk. Now what i dont understand is how much jeepers these days really discriminate against other jeeps. Growing up it didnt matter if the other jeep was lifted or had mods or if it was a yj or cj. Everybody waved to eachother and it seems there was a stronger bond between jeep owners. I joined this forum a month ago after buying my jk and was amazed to find theres so many people that really hate on the 4 doors and jks in general. I understand that the jk brought in a ton of new people that dont really care about the tradition of the wave and the jeep itself but i think its our job as jeep owners to educate the new guys on jeep tradition haha...not just get pissed off at them because they dont wave and then take it out on other jeepers lol. Thats all i have to say...sorry if this doesnt make much sense but ive had a few beers tonight haha
X2 - My bro-in-law won't admit that the 4 door is a wrangler.

He used to ride a 76CJ5 and hates himself for selling it so he takes it out on me.

I wish I never sold my 95...
Old 06-06-2011, 08:07 PM
JK Freak

I have to admit. I owned a TJ when the JKs first came out. At first, I was unsure if I was supposed to wave at the 4 doors. Only room a few weeks to accept them as a true jeep. Now look. I own one.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:21 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got my first jeep at 14 1/2 , 6mos before i got my DL. 77 CJ-5. Learned how to do fiberglass work on the floor board as soon as I got it. CJ-7 when I got married. The YJ's always looked funky with the square headlights and they were almost carlike with their fancy dash and air-conditioning. That was just a natural thing back then, also the same as my buddy with a 69 camaro and his hotrod compadrias. And then, OMG, the TJ with their coil springs and the luxery caddilac interior, oh my. All in all, if they're a jeeper , wave and respect their decision. I still think the front end of a YJ is butt-ugly, but I still wave.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evilclown
I have seen this same type of thread on the Corvette forums. Kinda funny actually.
He doesn't wave, C6's arent real corvettes, corvettes aren's suppose to have fixed headlights. Then there is always a year group/model that everyone picks on, lol.
I have the late model Pontiac GTO and I agree, it's the same thing. "Not a real GTO", "Built in Australia" etc. It's even worse at car shows "What year of the GTO do you have!?"(very exited), "oh, the new one..." (lowly voice).

Nobody cares if it's faster, more reliable and efficient than any other GTO built...

Just enjoy your Jeep and forget about the waves. I wave to every other Jeep I see and I get more waves from JK's than from older models.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Super Freak

I think there are way too many overly sensitive JK owners with rabbit ears out there. Honestly, did any of us buy our Jeeps for other people's approval, or because this model appealed to us. I couldn't care less about someone else's opinion on my Jeeps "worthiness". If you want to start paying the note on it, then your opinion might count. I know that much of the grumbling is somewhat in jest, but I really don't care if you don't wave back, don't wheel your Jeep, don't mod your Jeep, etc. Do what makes you happy, and forget the petty stuff!!!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:06 AM
JK Newbie

When I had to stop driving my CJ i was so sad I was cut out of the wave. No one waves to a poor Cherokee. Now that I have a JK I'm back in! I always smile and wave to other Jeepers, even soccer moms. It's a fun tradition.

My only complaint is when the sun is out an your top is up. Esp when there are 'Go Topless!' stickers on the windshield. Get that thing off! Lol
Old 06-07-2011, 06:22 AM
JK Newbie

Regardless... i try my best to wave. i get weird looks or just plain ignored. so far only 1 returned wave a 1 headlight flash...ok.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

I have received a significantly higher response rate when everyone in the JK hangs out the door and waves. Same thing with boats. I appreciate any boat a person may have that gets them out on the water doing what they love to do. Makes no difference if it is a 38' Fountain or a 12' Jon Boat.

Last edited by HerPants; 06-07-2011 at 06:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Man i love my jeep...but dont understand some things these days.