Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Mall crawler owners are abusing their jeeps psychologically

Old 03-03-2011, 06:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with pape, I run into the same thing where I work. There are a couple of the guys who have older JK's that have beat the living heck out of them, but they do have a lot of fun with their rigs and it does not bother them. They look at my JK and ask how often have I used the winch, why do I have larger tires and wheels, if I don't go rock crawling, etc., etc. I use my rig off road to have fun in the desert and up in the mountains, and still want it to look good in town. Like everyone is saying, let people do what they want with their rigs, and be thankful so many people do buy Jeeps or we would all be up the creek.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doubleusn
food for thought.

Some people / moms want a convertible and also have kids and live where it snows.

So, what ride to choose?

Oh yeah, there is only one 4 door topless ride. That works well outside the city limits.

Mine is my dd and sees some off road, but i think people lose site of it also being a 4 season fun car for people in the snow belt. Good in winter, fun in the top down summer.

While mud and rocks are fun, there is a whole bunch of us 'winter is over, doors and tops off to the beach we go' folks.

Jeep = choose your own adventure... As long as you choose one

the more the merrier. Like the wine folks say, drink what you like, and avoid the wine snobs.
bingo!!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepjackal
IMO,, if you buy a wrangler,, leave it stock,, it's a waste of money,,, go buy a liberty if that's all you want is stock,,
The top doesn't come off on a Liberty and the sun roof isn't the same thing.

I've driven convertibles my whole driving life (Summer in Minnesota is short, so I like to experience as much of it as possible):
MGB
TR7
Porche 914
VW Rabbit
Porche 911 (Targa)
69 Cadillac Deville
Geo Metro
Chrysler Lebarron turbo
Chrysler Sebring
etc.

This is the first convertible I've had that:
handles ridiculous amounts of snow on the way to go skiing
Tows my jet boat
Likes to go down the logging trails on the way to camping
Has four doors, so it's not a pain in the a$$ when I'm driving my kids around

The skiing crowd has a similar argument. I ski on GS racing skis, even though I no longer race. The butt wipes in speed suits think I'm wasting my money on those skis. What they don't understand is that nothing but a pure GS ski will carve & hold an edge at the speeds I normally ski - gates, or no gates.

So I'm new to off roading, so what? Lighten up. Not everyone has the same values or hobbies. My JK does more for me than any other ride I've ever had. Waste of money? Not hardly.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

My JKU does it all - family convertible, grocery getter, mall crawler, beach wheeling. As a family, we've had more fun in the JK than previous mustang and bmw verts. Plus I don't freak out when the wife bumps a curb or we hit a Houston pot hole.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shredX
These threads are lame.

I wheel the piss out of mine and that's great. My bro lives in SD and uses his stock Sahara to go surfing with his kids. They love it with the top down.

Get a life and have fun. Don't waste time worrying about what other people do.
Agreed! I like to play with mine (thats what she said) but it dosn't bother me that other people don't. I say if someone wants to pay the money to drive around in a "mall crawler" so be it. The more jeeps that are out there means the more parts i will find when mine breaks from playing. Besides its fun to park next to the stockers in a parking lot.

Last edited by robkd; 03-03-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shredX
These threads are lame.

I wheel the piss out of mine and that's great. My bro lives in SD and uses his stock Sahara to go surfing with his kids. They love it with the top down.

Get a life and have fun. Don't waste time worrying about what other people do.
you said it man, people buy Jeeps to do what they want to them. If they want to leave it stock so be it, just makes our moded Jeeps look more badass.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by glocksrfun
People only have so much money. There are these things called bills. House payments, a new roof, doctor bills, kids. If I had no bills I'd be modding the jeep for sure. So ur saying that cause I can't afford to do it that I'm a pavement princess? Go with the best stock rig and do what you can. Mommy and Daddy pay for your mods?
I completely agree. I plan on making mods to my jeep, but as I can afford to pay cash for them. I am not getting into a bunch of credit card debt to have a winch or lift kit, or bigger tires. Especially with my first child on the way. Having kids is expensive, I also have a house payment, my wife has student loans, life is expensive and unfortunately sometimes the jeep takes a back seat to life.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nothing wrong with leaving it bone stock they perform well as-is....2 ive seen lots of women drive jeeps nothing wrong with that 3 I do agree with you I think it messes with the Jeeps chi if its just drivin on the road
Old 03-03-2011, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

Waste of money? My 2009 X was the cheapest four wheel drive convertible on the market at $20K.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by h1ker
Nothing wrong with leaving it bone stock they perform well as-is....2 ive seen lots of women drive jeeps nothing wrong with that 3 I do agree with you I think it messes with the Jeeps chi if its just drivin on the road
3 is all that I was trying to go with from the start.
At least One person got what I was saying.

Quick Reply: Mall crawler owners are abusing their jeeps psychologically