Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Mall crawler owners are abusing their jeeps psychologically

Old 09-26-2010, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not to be a jerk here but why does it metter? It's their vehicle and if these "mall crawlers" didn't buy wranglers we would all be fighting over someone's used jeep as the new ones will go the way of the dinosaur. Besides, how do you know that these people don't take theirs wheeling? I've taken mine out every weekend and wash it right when I get back. My rig is currently stock so when you see it on the road, you'd probably brand it as a "mall crawler". Let's let go of the elitist thinking and give em a wave when you pass by.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Deal with it dude. If you want to come over and pay my nearly $400 monthly bill you can bitch about what I do with my stuff... otherwise OFF!!
Old 09-26-2010, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would like to say I agree with both sides. It does seem silly to most of us that buy jeeps to offroad to see one around town thats all stock,but like you said most of them are women( not being sexest I know there are some hard core women the wheel) but a lot of women the buy the four doors no nothing about jeep waves,and lifting jeeps etc...
I mean I have one of each my wife and I just bought a 2010 Sahara unlimited and I can tell you right now it will not be moded all out. But on the other hand my 09 two door will.
She just doesn't see the point,and she'll be driving it every day so it will have all kinds of girly crap on it, but that her deal.
Anyway theres my two cents worth. And by the way it's not just the four doors, I've seen a lot of tjs,yjs,and cjs for that matter bone stock.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 20JK10
Not everyone that buys a Mustang gets the GT. Not everyone that buys a Corvette goes over 65mph. Not everyone that buys the large 3500 series pick-up hauls 20,000lbs worth of stuff every day. Not everyone that buys a full sized SUV has a large family. Not everyone that buys a Prius goes the speed limit [it's funny seeing them speeding on the interstate, kind of defeats the purpose of that car].
...and where I live they tend to be the biggest A-holes behind the wheel.

Like their choice to buy a battery gives them a pass to drive like crap.

Funny to read it is just not hear.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Food for thought.

Some people / moms want a convertible and also have kids and live where it snows.

So, what ride to choose?

Oh yeah, there is only one 4 door topless ride. That works well outside the city limits.

Mine is my DD and sees some off road, but I think people lose site of it also being a 4 season fun car for people in the snow belt. Good in winter, fun in the top down summer.

While mud and rocks are fun, there is a whole bunch of us 'winter is over, doors and tops off to the beach we go' folks.

Jeep = Choose your own adventure... As long as you choose one

The more the merrier. Like the wine folks say, drink what you like, and avoid the wine snobs.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

Hmmm this is my first jeep where the J is at the beginning of the name. My other ones started with the letter C then a J than a 5 or 7. Those were Jeeps. Strait 6, no mini van motors. The JK is designed for the consumer of today, like me. I can’t toss my kid and wife into an old beat up 1984 CJ7 and drive 4 hours plus to the cottage. My JK is getting a modest lift and new boots, but that’s just b/c I like to run the trails a bit not b/c I am trying to fit into some sort of group that thinks all Jeeps should be jacked up and tricked out. As for the Rubicon owners, you do have the far more superior Jeep. Than of course you mod the suspension, the wheels and tiers. Put body armour all over it, chip it and still call it a Rubicon. I can do the same thing with my four door wrangler. Please … if it wasn’t for the so called mall crawlers and soccer moms, Chrysler wouldn’t have a reason to even make the Jeep line. But that’s just my
Old 09-26-2010, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people like to go camping, sometimes that camping takes you down some nice trail where four wheel drive is needed. Some people like to have the proven ability of the Jeep in wintery conditions. Some like to put the top down and enjoy the open air while driving through the mountains with their family just looking at the fall foilage. It's about as close as you can get to a motorcycle with 4 wheels.
Is the Jeep not capable in stock form?, if not, why sell it as such? You know why?, because it is. What's your problem with people enjoying it their way?
I would suggest you do whatever you want in or to your Jeep and not worry about what someone else does, that someone may be nice enough to stop and pull you out of that rut you're stuck in one day.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:05 PM
JK Super Freak

My Sahara isn't lifted yet so if you saw me you might think it never goes offroad. Take a closer look and you'll see the disconnects and the duratracs. I've chosen my mods carefully, not for looks necessarily but for a balance of performance both on and offroad. Tomorrow the jeep and I are headed on a 850km trip then back again the next day. That's why I decided to stay with the stock diameter of tire. Sometimes I take her offroad and so far my little stocky has handled most anything tossed at it. Once in a while she gets stuck and needs a yank. Big deal. Just because a jeep is clean and at the mall doesn't mean it doesn't get wheeled. Hey, maybe the other guy is thinking the same thing about you! After all, it takes more skill sometimes to wheel a stock jeep over the same obstacles as a built one that you can take any old line on.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would much rather see someone driving their Wrangler on the streets then in another one of those damn Escalades!

Increased sales are good for the Wrangler, Chrysler/Jeep and our hobby.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Gee. So much hate! Lol. Ok, I should have said "some" jk's are being psychologically abused. And I mean this in the most amusing anthropomorphic way like that kids movie "cars". As if the Jeep itself had a say in the matter it would be sitting there sad and pining for adventure like some poor schmuck sitting in an office staring at the clock just waiting to be let loose for the weekend. And if this describes you, please don't take offense, I'm trying to describe this fictional jeeps mindset.
People can and will take offense to anything that I say.
I was merely trying to be an advocate for those lost souls toiling on the highways looking forward to their "retirement" when soccer mom that never shifted the rubi into 4hi gets tired of a solid front axle or the new model year is out and trades up her lease for the new hot "in" thing. And then hopefully the jk can finally be bought by someone who Will take him or her out for the adventure so long dreamed of.

I was not trying to presume to dictate how someone else should use their jeep, I meant my first post in the manner that I described above. I should have been more clear.

Also, the jeeps that I call mall crawlers are the ones with all the chrome, low pro tires, giant ass wheels... The stock jeeps are just stock jeeps. If You have chrome, low pro tires, giant wheels (stock or lowered suspension) And you take it off road with your $300-400 a piece wheels not to mention the price of the tires, then I salute you. You certainly have deeper pockets than me and more gumption.

No, my mommy and daddy don't buy my mods for me, I spend money that I should save for a house or food or video games or in some cases bills. Does this show good long term planning ability? No. But I'll blame dropping a tree on my head when I was a kid for that... Also, I don't live with my parents and have not in a very long time so I am "aware" of the concept called "bills".

On another note, my jk Is a 4dr with a 2.5 in lift 33in all terrains and does spend most of her time on pavement as a daily driver.(well, snow and ice) It's got stock gears Dana 30 up front no swaybar disconnect and has climbed mountains (I'm not shitting you, literally) and gone down trails that the more "experienced" drivers in the group said could only be done with lockers(in 4 low with white knuckles and prayers). That same trail I did most of the easy bits in 2wd while everyone else was putting along in 4 low. Sure I fishtailed a lot and sometimes I almost didn't make it, but it was Fun. I could have easily put it in 4 hi and clambered up like everyone else, but where's the fun in that? And before you worry that I damaged the trail with my antics, it was early October, there was snow and the ground was frozen. Dynamite would have issues smudging that trail.

I usually don't wash the mud off the outside of my jeep, undercarriage sure. I've found in some cases that it provides an ablative coating when the willow branches think that the trail is narrower than my jeep knows that it is.

Quick Reply: Mall crawler owners are abusing their jeeps psychologically