Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Made in the U.S.A.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drsalee
or possibly, you could work overseas and see what your labor is worth in a global market.

The unions are antiquated institutions which are choking this country to death. Go down the list....the unions have killed almost every trade they have infected. Teachers, auto mfg, electronics, textiles, construction, law enforcement, healthcare........the list doesn't end ! If i see a union label, i will buy chinese if the option is available.

In the case of my jeeps, i had no choice.......so i held my nose and wrote the check.
maybe we could start inporting dentists that charge a dollar an hour instead off 200.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkman77
maybe we could start inporting dentists that charge a dollar an hour instead off 200.

I compete everyday in a highly competitive environment. If I do not swim real hard I sink. If I sink.......I sink. If I do not perform.........I sink.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Drsalee
I compete everyday in a highly competitive environment. If I do not swim real hard I sink. If I sink.......I sink. If I do not perform.........I sink.
THAT IS THE CASE WITH EVERYBODY SO LETS HELP EACH OTHER OUT AND BUY AMERICAN.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by RRCP08JK
Unions had there time and place in America many years ago when employees were taken advantage of with long hours, poor working conditions and a slave driver mentality by owners. Unions killed GM. Sorry man, but a guy bolting tires on the assembly line shouldn't be making $30+ / hour and have a benefits package like they had. It was bound to bubble sometime just like the housing market.
I agree with you to a point, but I'm not so sure about the not making $30+/hr with a benefits package part. I'm wondering if you have ever worked on an assembly line?

Yes, some jobs seem easy......but when it comes to doing the same thing continuously, it also becomes VERY tedious which becomes very nerve racking. I mentioned that I worked part time during summers in an automotive plant. The nice thing for me on that job, is that I was working a different job on a daily basis because I was filling in for people who where taking summer vacations. The easiest job that I had was that I got in a truck which just rolled off the assembly line, I drove it 50 yards to drop it off at a quality inspection line and then walked back to hop in and drive the next truck. I was like...."Yeah!!!, this job is cake and I'm getting paid pretty good money." The hardest job I had was when I had to install mufflers onto a moving chassis. I had to look up ahead and figure out which vehicle was coming down the line, and grab the proper muffler. I then had to lay on my back, prop the muffler up, align it with the header exhaust pipe, use a torque wrench and fasten them together all while the line was moving. After 9 hours of that, my arms where sore and I was beat, and by the end of the day I was having trouble keeping up with the speed of the line....and was preying another Diesel wasn't headed my way, with that huge azz muffler. I couldn't even imagine having to do that job for a week, yet alone as a career.

I know at our manufacturing plants we try to rotate workers every 2 hours onto a different assembly process to help alleviate some of the "tedious" nature of the job. So assembly work isn't as easy as you think it may be. I could imagine picking up a wheel, aligning it with the lugs and torquing the bolts could get pretty tedious and exhausting after doing it for 8 hours straight at an average rate of 30-60 seconds per vehicle. So try to keep that in mind.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-07-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Drsalee
Or possibly, you could work overseas and see what your labor is worth in a global market.

The unions are antiquated institutions which are choking this country to death. Go down the list....the unions have killed almost every trade they have infected. Teachers, auto mfg, electronics, textiles, construction, law enforcement, healthcare........the list doesn't end ! If I see a union label, I will buy Chinese if the option is available.

In the case of my Jeeps, i had no choice.......so I held my nose and wrote the check.
Just curious where your children will work and what they'll be doing if all the jobs are shipped overseas? There are only so many places to work where nothing is produced other than burgers & fries.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Quote: "it also becomes VERY tedious which becomes very nerve racking. I mentioned that I worked part time during summers in an automotive plant."

Along with working in conjunction with GM I did also work in several other factorys. I built Majestic fire places for $9 an hour building the same unit all day long. I made rims for jeeps and saturns for $10.25 hr. ALL Day.

What is different about that and the $30 that union workers make? The Quality of the work. Now if you read back a few posts you will read how I myself still got paid that amount while doing half ass poor quality work and still kept my job because of union backing.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by WranglerJoe

Along with working in conjunction with GM I did also work in several other factorys. I built Majestic fire places for $9 an hour building the same unit all day long. I made rims for jeeps and saturns for $10.25 hr. ALL Day.

What is different about that and the $30 that union workers make? The Quality of the work. Now if you read back a few posts you will read how I myself still got paid that amount while doing half ass poor quality work and still kept my job because of union backing.
Well, if you read back a few posts also, you'll see that I really don't support Unions for the exact reasons you mentioned.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by WranglerJoe
Quote: "it also becomes VERY tedious which becomes very nerve racking. I mentioned that I worked part time during summers in an automotive plant."

I'm sorry you lost your job. I'm also sorry that you're a lazy individual. Unions need to ensure their members do the quality job that warrants the protections they have and police their own. It's also time that those who do not measure up be relegated to the poverty they deserve. Not everyone can live comfortable and those who do not work hard shouldn't complain about their lot in life.

It's sad that Americans are so dispassioned at the prospect of our nation dying.... Not all unions are bad. Similar to other categories/groups it only takes a few to taint the group...

Many of the items available for the Jeep and manufactured here in the U.S.A. are from small shops/operations that are neither union, nor large enough to out source their manufacturing to china or mexico.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Upon further investigations we found that the components like resistors and capacitors where not made by the manufacturers that we originally specified in the design...
Japanese capacitors?

The fact is: a lot of global companies are manufacturing in China, but even this way, the Chinese can produce crap products. And they will try to sell to everyone - it's their business model...
Old 09-07-2010, 08:55 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Attachment 87465

Attachment 87466

Kinda sucks, huh?

Quick Reply: Made in the U.S.A.