Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Lucky stupid neighbor

Old 12-30-2011, 08:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no idea why people give you shit for getting something you can afford at the time. you see some of these folks going to 60s and an atlas tcase and they probably should've started out with a 2wd instead of a rubi anyway cause they replaced all the freakin parts!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:30 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jeep4me2
It is hard to tell the difference when it's parked in front of a building...
I saw an '08 JKU X for $13K on a rinky-dink lot once. It was silver with a soft top and super clean, I was so excited I didn't notice it didn't have a transfer case selector at first. It wasn't until I saw the car fax report that I saw it was a 2WD. I was shocked. I didn't know they made Wranglers in 2WD either. I didn't buy it. Took another look at at it before I left. There's a nice little coin dish where the transfer case selector should be.
Lol, yes... I do have a coin holder whereas y'all don't.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1985910619.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	256615  
Old 12-30-2011, 08:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by armycop
Probably would have been easier to buy the neighbor's old 4WD "X" "Mall Crawler" Jeep and get rid of yours.... just trying to make some sense.... if it wasn't off roaded, it was probably in decent shape
I would have done that as well, but he bought his jeep a week after I bought mine.

Originally Posted by jvandy50
no idea why people give you shit for getting something you can afford at the time. you see some of these folks going to 60s and an atlas tcase and they probably should've started out with a 2wd instead of a rubi anyway cause they replaced all the freakin parts!
Lol, I've thought that many times.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Support

Originally Posted by jvandy50

amen brother! If I was to start my build again a 2 wheel 4 dr basic JK would have been perfect FOR ME because I'm going to end up throwing /selling most of the stock parts anyway. A stock Rubi is great vehicle and we should stop being down on each other over BS. All those people in MALL crawlers make it possible for us all to enjoy wheeling at whatever level because they like us are buying the products that support this site, local 4x4 shops and the manufactures. I have gotten to know a few of the bigger names in the Jeep world and I have never heard any of them say anything like some of the things that have been said in this thread.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So let me get this straight. Swapping a transfer case and axle, I got it. Now, when it comes to a trade in at the dealer (unless it's bobs backyard lot), you honestly think they are not going to notice a no transfer case on a 4WD jeep when it comes to the trade in???? Seriously??? The vin # will tell you EVERYTHING about the vehicle down to the cruise control or powered windows, not to mention a small detail of 4WD... Now, if he was willing to swap and explain to dealer while taking the trade in hit, that's different.. Not to mention the codes that will pop up in doing so because of that little thing called the computer. I get it that you can wrench and do the work; dropping axles is as easy as changing oil if you've got the tools and knowledge (I've dropped mine/friends) countless times, but please don't insult our intelligence with the whole, "the dealer or most" don't look under a vehicle.. We (most buying jeeps) are enthusiasts who know what to look for...
Old 12-30-2011, 11:50 PM
JK Newbie

C'mon guys, take an easy on the guy. If I've learned anything from today, it is that Wranglers can come in 2WD. Never for the life of me did I think that a Wrangler could be anything but 4WD. No need to sweat the guy over buying a 2WD or his intentions on how to convert his into a 4WD Jeep. All that matters is that he's rolling in a Jeep and not some POS import. I only have one question for the OP, are there "Trail Rated" badges on either side of the Jeep? No biggy, just curious.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:48 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Battlefrog
So let me get this straight. Swapping a transfer case and axle, I got it. Now, when it comes to a trade in at the dealer (unless it's bobs backyard lot), you honestly think they are not going to notice a no transfer case on a 4WD jeep when it comes to the trade in???? Seriously??? The vin # will tell you EVERYTHING about the vehicle down to the cruise control or powered windows, not to mention a small detail of 4WD... Now, if he was willing to swap and explain to dealer while taking the trade in hit, that's different.. Not to mention the codes that will pop up in doing so because of that little thing called the computer. I get it that you can wrench and do the work; dropping axles is as easy as changing oil if you've got the tools and knowledge (I've dropped mine/friends) countless times, but please don't insult our intelligence with the whole, "the dealer or most" don't look under a vehicle.. We (most buying jeeps) are enthusiasts who know what to look for...
When I went with my neighbor to buy his JKU X, he almost ended up with a 2 door JK with Rubi wheels and Rubicon stickers on hood. Salesman was calling it a Rubicon, I asked what kind of shocks they were since they were not red but black. Guy said they were stock shocks, i started looking more inside and there were no Elocker buttons. Few more questions later, sales guy said sorry apparently the paperwork was "filed wrong".

They don't notice alot of things and overlook alot when someone is walking in wanting to spend 20-30k right then.

Originally Posted by Jeep702
C'mon guys, take an easy on the guy. If I've learned anything from today, it is that Wranglers can come in 2WD. Never for the life of me did I think that a Wrangler could be anything but 4WD. No need to sweat the guy over buying a 2WD or his intentions on how to convert his into a 4WD Jeep. All that matters is that he's rolling in a Jeep and not some POS import. I only have one question for the OP, are there "Trail Rated" badges on either side of the Jeep? No biggy, just curious.
Lol, nope. I don't have the shiny Trail Rated badge y'all have.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:54 AM
JK Newbie

Buddy, I'm in your corner all the way. I was a college kid when I bought mine. I just lucked out that they had an "X" in my price range.

But getting down to the point, they make Wranglers without the badge?!?!? Seriously? I want a picture of this!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delux2769
I would have been happy for him to screw the stealership, would have been hilarious.
It wouldn't have been hilarious to the poor sucker who bought it from the dealership.
IMO, you have a very warped sense of values.
BTW, I was on your side, when I read posts giving you crap for buying what you could afford.

Last edited by walc; 12-31-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delux2769

Lol, yes... I do have a coin holder whereas y'all don't.
You work at Con-way? My uncle is the director for the Texas area or something like that, my cousin was a dock worker in san antonio, and my other cousin is in sales in the austin area. Btw good job on your selection of Jeeps. You made the right decision. A Jeep is a Jeep. And they are our Jeeps.

Quick Reply: Lucky stupid neighbor