Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Loud Engine Whine = Alternator + Mud?

Old 07-17-2008, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Engine Whine = Alternator + Mud?

Hey guys,

Well, my engine has had a loud whine to it comming from the alternator now for a long time. The noise is more annoying then anything else right now. But it's also a worry of mine. The noise is absolutely comming from the alternator on the right side of the engine.

Obviously with my snorkel and vids/pics I post from time to time. I see alot of deep mud and water. I imagine there's mud/water that's gotten into the alternator more than just on one occasion.

This whine has been there for at least several months and several offroading trips. It gets louder with the engine revs, most likely due to the belt spinning the alternator.

My question:

Is this a sign my alternator may die at any moment? Should I replace it now and not have a problem at a very bad time later on?

Is this something a little grease or cleaner sprayed inside may help, and if so, any specific spots to aim into it and what kind of grease/cleaner do you reccomend? Like WD-40 into the "air slots" where the mud/water most likely entered? Or electrical contact cleaner?

Any help is appreciated guys!! And most importantly, is this even a concern? Or just an annoyance with making my engine whine.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Umm...why was this moved out of TECH and into....talk.....??

Especially when I need a TECHNICAL response?

Please move it back?

--will just repost--

Last edited by BrettDez; 07-17-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:33 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Somebody else on here had this same problem and it turned out to be the idler pulley. Here's how you can tell for sure: Take a long 3/8" or 1/2" drive extension and, being careful, while the engine is running, put the square male end on each item driven by the belt one at a time and stick the other end against your ear. You'll know it when you find it, believe you me. Sometimes, noises can transmit through different things an fool hell out of you. Especially on a drive belt system that has everything in common. That extension trick will zero right in on it. If it turns out to be the alternator, here's my suggestion. Get the water hose out and blast the snot out of it. What have you got to lose? It's already makin noise, right? It probably has some mud around the armeture and is raisin hell. A good blast with the hose might just knock it out. Of course, it might just finish it off, too, but what the hell.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, thanks for the reply, even in the wrong forum.

And I am absolutely positive it is from the alternator, it is very loud and directional. Probably the brushes. I have sprayed it with a hose, and nothing. Which is why I'm confused.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep, idler pulley was my problem here too...

Quick Reply: Loud Engine Whine = Alternator + Mud?