Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

lost wheel lock key

Old 10-13-2010, 02:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tighten the lug on each side of the lock as tight as you can, then put vise grips on the lock lug as tight as you can. It worked for me on a lock lug that was keyed on the inside, smooth outside.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
These should do the job ...

.amazon.com/dp/B000FTN3KK/ref=asc_df_B000FTN3KK1281211?tag=the004-20&creative=395261&creativeASIN=B000FTN3KK&linkCod e=asn[/url]
So if the bad guys can get these why are we spending money to put locks on our wheels? To protect us from the honest people?

Last edited by mkjeep; 10-14-2010 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow at a price like that, if they work as well as the ad says I sure don't see any need to ever buy locking lugs ever again.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
These should do the job ...

w w w .amazon.com
i just got back from another jeep dealer that got them off for me, they raped me to have the work done but whatever im just glad its done... and the reviews on this product says that it doesnt work for shit..... oh well, thanks again for the help guys

Last edited by 07rubisteve; 10-14-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: direct link broken
Old 10-14-2010, 07:46 AM
JK Freak

most of us have at least one spare key for our jeeps, so why not for your jeep's wheels? i still run stockers, so i'm not running locks but when i get my new tires and wheels i will likely throw a set on. when i had them on my dodge one of the first things i did was order a spare key. the little lock code can get lost or (if it's actually stamped on the key) get marred or rusted to a point where it's unreadable. i would keep the spare in my recovery bag that way i always knew i had it while wheeling and then i always knew where the spare was when i got home. those things are easy to lose in a pile of rocks, the woods, a water hole, etc. when doing a trail fix. imo, the peace of mind is totally worth the cost of a spare key
Old 10-14-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by NorthRiver
hammered a tight fitting socket over the lug nut and it was enough to get the nut off.
This has worked for me several times. I don't run locks anymore. They are a hassle and very easy to remove for any crook. Waste of time and money.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default go buy some cheap ass long sockets...

pound them on, and crank them out.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Freak

The newer style McGard wheel locks are coded specifically for Mopar and they have tumblers on them. Most dealerships have the old style keys that wont fit the newer locks. I ran into this problem a cpl of months ago when the teeth in my key broke, I couldnt beat a socket or anything else onto the wheel lock and torque it off because I had the newer style locks w/ tumblers which prevents thieves etc. from being able to torque the locks off. I tried beating a socket with some teeth on the inside of it onto one of the locks and using an impact wrench to chew away at the tumbler but that wasnt gonna cut it. You have two options when in this situation, A. Find the little ID card that came with your set, call McGard and order a new key (I got my replacement in less than 2 days, and I live in Canada!) or B. Get a torch and cut the locks off, although there is a very good chance you will damage your wheels this way. Those with the older style locks are lucky if they lose or break their key because they can just torque them off, but that style lock makes it easier for thieves to steal them as well.

Quick Reply: lost wheel lock key