Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Looking For Used Unlimited Buying Advice

Old 07-22-2008, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For Used Unlimited Buying Advice

My wife and I just found out that we're going to have our second child. Our current vehicles are a '95 Nissan Maxima and a '03 Tacoma Xtra cab. I've always wanted a Jeep Wrangler, but when I got my Tacoma, my final decision came down to reliability. It would be my only vehicle and I was commuting 100 miles per day. So now that we're looking for a new family vehicle I'm very tempted by the Wrangler Unlimited. This will be my wife's daily driver and her daily driving is 10-15 miles normally. I've done some research and have read that the first year depreciation on the Wrangler Unlimited is 27%. I don't see any point in me taking that hit so I'm looking used. I'm looking for common problems associated with the vehicle that I should look out for.

What I think I want:
Sahara Unlimited
4X4
Auto
Hard Top (maybe both tops)
Locking Rear diff.
Lift
35's

I CAN'T WAIT TO GET HER TOPLESS!
(I mean the Jeep)
Old 07-22-2008, 08:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Can't speak about Ogden but here 07 Unlimited's are selling for about 1K less than new. You'll take your hit on resale but you won't save anything at the dealer purchasing. You will lose out on your lifetime powertrain warranty though.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:55 PM
JK Freak

If you didn't want 4x4 I would be a little worried.

There aren't really any problems you need to look out for. Just check for signs of off-road abuse, make sure there's no rust, etc.

Finding a Sahara with a rear locker might be a challenge. I tried a search on cars.com and only came up with 1 Sahara Unlimited within 75 miles of Ogden. You might consider buying an X--they're easier to locate (in addition to being quite a bit cheaper).

Here's a pretty spanking deal that I found... In Salt Lake there's a white 2008 X Unlimited with 4x4, auto trans, hardtop, power windows/locks, upgraded sound, fog lights, and Rubicon wheels. It has less than 1300 miles on it and they're asking $21,920. I built the same Jeep on jeep.com and it came out to $28,515. With a few modifications it would look awesome.

I can't post a direct link (forum rules) but copy and paste this URL if you're interested.

tinyurl.com/6zttvp

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Looking For Used Unlimited Buying Advice