Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Looking at Purchasing an ‘09 JK, How’s the Rust?

Old 04-17-2020, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at Purchasing an ‘09 JK, How’s the Rust?

Hi All,

New to the community but seriously considering picking up an ‘09 JK. Only 19k miles on it. It is some distance from where I live at the moment, so I had a mobile inspection performed with a note to pay special attention to rust, because, naturally, the dealer’s images didn’t show any.

The mechanic found rust in several places (see attached) that I’m starting to see are pretty commonplace for most JKs. What do you all think of the rust? Expected for the age of the Jeep, or cause for concern? Will have plenty of time to put some work in and not as concerned about future rust because I’ll be moving away from the rust belt upon purchasing it.

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2020, 05:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Doesn’t look terrible. Typical rust spots on the frame. I wire wheeled using a die grinder what I could, used Eastwood’s rust reformer and brushed it on all rusted spots. Then ended up spraying on lizard skin underneath. I live in the northeast and when I went to pull my carpets to raptor line inside the tub I had two quarter size holes in the drivers floor board that I welded up. So pull the carpet up and take a look as there is a heat shield on the drivers side that you won’t be able to see the floor from underneath as that’s where the two holes I had were at.
The following users liked this post:
Michaell13 (04-20-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeep are known to rust. Mine is an 09 and its a rust bucket. I used POR15 to the letter and the rust is starting to resurface. If you get this JK, I would get it that taken care of before it gets worse.
The following users liked this post:
Michaell13 (04-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Looking at Purchasing an ‘09 JK, How’s the Rust?