Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

looking into a 2nd unlimited.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking into a 2nd unlimited.

what year and package would u go with?
auto or manual?
Old 12-19-2009, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I guess it all depends on what you want to do with it. I'm sure you can probably find a good deal on an '07, '08 or '09. Every year they've added something, taken something away or changed something so it's hard to definitively say what year to consider. The '09's have a few goodies that previous years didn't have, like a few interior changes better latch on the freedom panels for the hardtop and Hill Start Assist.

Leave it stock or are you going to mod the hell out of it.

A Rubi (new or used) would be a nice start as it gives most of the things you would already be bolting on, but there are pleanty of opinions on this route. Again it depends on what you plan on doing to it.

The auto for manual thing. In my house we have both, my Rubi Unlimited has the auto while my wifes Rubi 2dr has the manual. Me peronally, I like the auto for the better gas mileage due to the amount of regular road driving I do. The manual is nice, definitely more fun to drive, but it is a fact that you'll get lower mileage than with the auto (if both vehicles driven exactly the same).
Old 12-19-2009, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

was helpful. thank you
Old 12-19-2009, 08:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by kkuntz01
... The manual is nice, definitely more fun to drive, but it is a fact that you'll get lower mileage than with the auto (if both vehicles driven exactly the same).
I would not have guessed that. There are so many different configurations of vehicles (tires, gear ratios, etc) that affect gas mileage (especially where folks have done after-market mod's) that I'd be very hesitant to say something so absolute, especially when it goes against current convention (generally manuals get better mileage than standards, but it's very close).
Old 12-19-2009, 08:19 AM
JK Super Freak

I have a friend who has replaced 3 manual transmissions in his TJ and swears he will be buying an automatic next. The only time I wish I had an automatic is when I'm in the city and I have a cup of coffee with me.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

My wife got a Rubi LWB standard in '08. I've been waiting for a different engine in the Jk before I upgrade my cherokee and it sounds like they are doing it in 2011.

I'm going for a LWB Rubi diesel after the 2010 year because I'm interested in the diesel engine and whatever the "upgraded interior" will be. We are supposed to see a reveal of the 2011 anniversary edition Jk in the new year, and they are supposed to be available in the fall of 2010.

I am worried about a higher price for the Jk's in 2011.

I hope that helps.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I would not have guessed that. There are so many different configurations of vehicles (tires, gear ratios, etc) that affect gas mileage (especially where folks have done after-market mod's) that I'd be very hesitant to say something so absolute, especially when it goes against current convention (generally manuals get better mileage than standards, but it's very close).
Mark, I'm sure there's many varying opinions on this and exponentional amount of variables which could sway the needle one way or the other. In my experience dealing with our two stock Rubi's (one a swb manual and the other a lwb auto) the auto has consistently gotten better mileage over all. With the manual I can coax a little better mileage out of it around town most times, but it's when you get on the highway that that auto really shines. My observation on the trips my wife and I have taken to the local off-road park (170miles one way), the auto has typically gotten at least 1-2mpg better than the manual (23mpg auto vs 21mpg manual) when the cruise control was set at 65mph. Of course if you're going to start drawing the comparisons between two modded rigs, I'll be the first to admit that everything I just said can likely be flushed down the toliet.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:19 AM
JK Freak

all vehicles should be manual

Quick Reply: looking into a 2nd unlimited.