Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

A long story and a quick question

Old 02-04-2008, 09:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A long story and a quick question

Hey kids,

I am new to the forum but since I found it over the weekend I have been hooked. Sadly I know longer have a jeep, I had an 02 TJ that I loved but had to sell out of desperation. It still kills me that I had to do it but I couldn't afford 2 car payments and I had bought an Element for work.

Needless to say I am eager to get back into a Jeep. I have been laying the groundwork with my wife as slyly as I could. When I finally felt the time was right I took her and our 7 month old son to "just Look" at the new Wranglers

I had been totally against the 4 door idea but I have to say with the right mods they look really nice and will make it easier to deal with the boy so I am starting to lean in that direction.

The wife seemed to like them as well but as we were leaving she spotted an 08 Liberty and has fallen in love. She played the whole " I drive a mini and need a bigger car, your Element is newer" cards so I guess we are looking to get her a Liberty since we can't put a stroller and car seat in the mini, But if I can work it out the JK is still in my near future.

Getting to the point... Have you heard anything about the new Liberty?

And more importantly, Since the JK is a little ways off, has anyone heard if there will be a new engine in 09. I have heard rumors of the Phoenix V6 4.0 but there are rumors spreading from next year to 2015 when the next generation Wrangler is expected.

At least does anyone know when 09 specs are expected to hit the public.

I will wait to buy if it is 09 but can't wait till 2010 much less 2015 for my new ride. But I would hate to buy in a few months only to find more horse power was just around the corner.

Sorry for the long windedness. I will post shorter next time.

Thanks for your help
Old 02-05-2008, 04:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't give up too easily! I took my wife in last summer to turn her '02 Liberty into a new Jeep when she spotted my JK Unlimited on the lot. I had an '05 Pacifica that I really enjoyed driving, but she made me test drive the JK. After talking a while with sales and finance, we went home with two new Jeeps and $35 less per month in car payments. Happy days indeed!
Old 02-05-2008, 05:11 AM
JK Freak

My mother has an '08 Liberty and SHE LOVES IT. She moved from an 05 Grand Cherokee to the Liberty. Mom and Dad bought 2 Jeeps, he got an 08 4-door Sahara and she got the Liberty. She has the Limited so she has all the extra bells and whistles. At first look, I wasn't too fond of it. (Too much chrome and glittery parts). But, its very comfortable, sits pretty high, and feels like its a bigger vehicle than the previous model Libertys. She is getting decent gas mileage with it and is happy with the move from the Grand Cherokee to the Liberty.

So, not a bad move if you're looking to get a Jeep back into the family. But, don't give up on the Wrangler. Try to put it off until summer when you can show her what its like with the tops off and how much more fun it'll be driving that instead of the Liberty.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the quick response, don't fear I am not giving up that easily. There is surely a JK in my future, I just want to make sure it is the right year. With all of this Plastech B.S. it may be a while.

Unless my wife changes her mind I think the Liberty will soon be in our garage.

I still want to know when we might expect 2009 specs?

any ideas?
Old 02-05-2008, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know anyone personally but I read that the early 08 Liberty had some leak issues with the sky slider top (or whatever they call it) Might want to stay away from it.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RubiconOrdie
I don't know anyone personally but I read that the early 08 Liberty had some leak issues with the sky slider top (or whatever they call it) Might want to stay away from it.
Given the track record with the soft and hard tops on the JK's ...
Old 02-05-2008, 09:48 AM
JK Newbie

If your already making 2 car payments, have good credit and are financially sound...do a 2 car deal. Lets say your total household car payments are 700 (ok i'm dreaming) and you bought two cars and end up with 2 car payments that total 700. Are you really out any money? True, You may have extended your overall term from 2 years on one car and 3 years on another to 5 years on two. But if your just going to trade in the other anyways.....
Old 02-05-2008, 09:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeep329
If your already making 2 car payments, have good credit and are financially sound...do a 2 car deal. Lets say your total household car payments are 700 (ok i'm dreaming) and you bought two cars and end up with 2 car payments that total 700. Are you really out any money? True, You may have extended your overall term from 2 years on one car and 3 years on another to 5 years on two. But if your just going to trade in the other anyways.....
I would totally play that card if the mini wasn't paid off.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RubiconOrdie
That's the plan. The less she spends the more mods to the JK I will get to make. Selfish, I know, but what can I say I love Jeeps and she just drives them.

Quick Reply: A long story and a quick question