Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

To Lock or Not to Lock That is the Question

Old 08-15-2011, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shredX
I lock it. If someone cuts the windows then open the door, the alarm will go off. I'd rather replace the soft top window and have the bad guy run away. These are not YJs ot TJs where you just need to leave 'em unlocked.
Plus, isn't that what insurance is for? I'd rather call up and tell them, doors were locked and they broke in, rather than saying "Oh left it open with a sign on it saying please mess with this Jeep"
Old 08-15-2011, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arasco85
Honest thieves? The way I see it is, if its gonna happen.its gonna happen.
Do you lock your house at night? Those windows are easily broken with a rock you know... Or a flathead screwdriver and hammer can unlock that lock on your front door.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Yeah but I've got 2 9mm's and an ar-15 near my bed. I also have 5 dogs! 3 200lb+ English mastiffs, a yorkie, and a chiuahua. Break in, I dare them! ; )
On the JK issue I can see both points of view. I have the factory security, so I lock regardless of which top is on or if it's up or down. Hopefully they will run before too much damage is done. Many people I know who's tops are "cut" don't even have anything stolen. It's just an easy target for juvenile malice............... Just my .02 cents
Old 08-15-2011, 06:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TMJK2007

Do you lock your house at night? Those windows are easily broken with a rock you know... Or a flathead screwdriver and hammer can unlock that lock on your front door.
I lock my Jeep and my house. Also have a 9mm for anyone that decides to mess with either.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:13 AM
JK Freak

I lock mine, even with the doors off. A couple things to ask yourself:

1.) Have you talked with your insurance company about coverage if the doors are left unlocked?
2.) Have you looked into getting a $0 deductible?
3.) Will leaving the doors unlocked cause any undue stress?
4.) Do you keep anything valuable in the Jeep?
5.) Have you checked into getting a security drawer, or similar product?
Old 08-15-2011, 11:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unlocked doors always, never leave anything valuable in my Jeep.

If I was to lock the doors they are just going to just pop the lock, slash the windows etc, forcing me to have to pay a deductible to get the Jeep fixed
Old 08-15-2011, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I dont ever leave anything in my jeep to steal, and always leave the doors unlocked. IMO if someone really wants in your jeep they are just going to slash your windows. Maybe if i had a hard top i would lock the doors more often though.

Quick Reply: To Lock or Not to Lock That is the Question