Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Limited Slip or not Help!

Old 10-20-2011, 08:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looks like the Eaton Detroit LSD is not that great on road

I was just doing some more research on the Eaton Detroit LSD (on you-tube) and it appears that it isn't all that great on road. Basically it locks the wheels way better but makes noises and suck when turning. It's probably a better off-road choice. It apparently is not a great DD option.

I found this video of the trac-lok in action. It looks like it is working pretty good to me. Both wheels seem to be getting a pretty good amount of power. If you compare it to the BLD video earlier you can see that it is less jerky.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IPGH4Wqj5g

Last edited by Rooster76; 10-20-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks decent, considering it was on a bit of an incline..
I guess he just needed some better tires.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:19 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster76
I was just doing some more research on the Eaton Detroit LSD (on you-tube) and it appears that it isn't all that great on road. Basically it locks the wheels way better but makes noises and suck when turning. It's probably a better off-road choice. It apparently is not a great DD option.
That sounds like the Detroit Locker, not the TrueTrac limited.

The 'locker' will ratchet on turns and can be kinda scary on slick roads, but is definitely the better choice for off-road driving. The TrueTrac is more mild mannered on-road, and is the better option between the two for a DD, especially if you live somewhere with winter weather. The truetrac is just a much better version of the factory limited. The Detroit is more like a rubicon e-locker without the option of turning it off.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:43 PM
JK Newbie

Seems like TrueTracs in the front and back should make for a great combination of on and off-road performance for anyone who doesn't do extreme rock-climbing..

I wonder how much this would cost though.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:38 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Up north, dunno. Down here, figure on $375ish for the front and $475ish for the rear. (plus or minus $25 depending on sales and who you order from). They are full case, so you will want your local gear guy to do the install. Great setup for the price for those who don't spend a lot of time with wheels in the air.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rooster76
You are totally confusing Detroit (automatic) lockers with Eaton Trutracs. The LSD have seamless road manners, make no noises and are the obvious choice for a daily driver between the two.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ECHO
I am getting Detroit Tru-Trac LSD Front & back & 5.13's on Monday .. can't wait
Gears will be getting done very soon and this may end up being my combo. Please post back up with how its working out!

Quick Reply: Limited Slip or not Help!