Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Limited Slip or not Help!

Old 02-15-2010, 01:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Notice that it's the Rubi guys who say the LSD isn't anywhere near as good as a locker.

I've said it before: unless you plan on regularly doing stuff that requires a spotter, you don't need lockers. The LSD is *dirt* cheap. Buy it.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
Notice that it's the Rubi guys who say the LSD isn't anywhere near as good as a locker.

I've said it before: unless you plan on regularly doing stuff that requires a spotter, you don't need lockers. The LSD is *dirt* cheap. Buy it.
who above has a Rubi
Old 02-15-2010, 02:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
Its the truth, nothing more than that. You don't believe it, I could honestly care less. It's the internet.

If you think clutches with friction modifier in the axle (which makes the clutches slip easier) is going to be comparable to a mechanical locker after some real miles..then you are mistaken. Doesn't matter what i drive. Same thing is going on with my Barracuda, I have a limited slip, my patch on hard acceleration is not equal as if it had a locker.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking into buying my first Jeep, and have been trying to wrap my head around all of this
open differential vs LSD / anti-spin differential vs locker information for the past few days..

I understand the mechanics of open differentials and lockers, and I think I've got a fair conceptual
understanding of the LSD.. But what I still can't figure out is:

1- if I buy a JK without the anti-spin differential, does that mean as soon as one wheel loses traction,
the opposite wheel loses ALL of its torque (regular open differential)? This doesn't sound right to me..
simply based on the reputation stock Wranglers seem to have for off-road capabilities
2- With a anti-spin differential, and one wheel off the ground, is the wheel with traction only getting
50% of the available torque, while the one spinning in the air gets the other 50%?

Edit: I also know a bit about the BLD, but am not sure to what extent this would help in a situation where
one wheel is off the ground / slipping.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by izzo; 10-20-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking LSD - Don't let this trip you out, just get it.

Originally Posted by izzo
I'm looking into buying my first Jeep, and have been trying to wrap my head around all of this
open differential vs LSD / anti-spin differential vs locker information for the past few days..

I understand the mechanics of open differentials and lockers, and I think I've got a fair conceptual
understanding of the LSD.. But what I still can't figure out is:

1- if I buy a JK without the anti-spin differential, does that mean as soon as one wheel loses traction,
the opposite wheel loses ALL of its torque (regular open differential)? This doesn't sound right to me..
simply based on the reputation stock Wranglers seem to have for off-road capabilities
2- With a anti-spin differential, and one wheel off the ground, is the wheel with traction only getting
50% of the available torque, while the one spinning in the air gets the other 50%?

Edit: I also know a bit about the BLD, but am not sure to what extent this would help in a situation where
one wheel is off the ground / slipping.

Thanks in advance
First and formost watch this video starting at about 1min50sec. It is the best description out there about differentials.---> Around the Corner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYAw79386WI If one wheel on an axle is off the ground then the other will get 0 power. Then if it is spinning for a bit the computer controlled BLD -Brake Lock Differential will kick in. The BLD will put some braking to that spinning tire. It will allow some power to get transferred over to the other tire. Watch this video about 45 sec in to see it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8MAzmLSVIc LSD-I have read that the LSD (in this case called Trac-Lok) will not work at all with a wheel off the ground. It transfers about a quarter of the power over to the non spinning wheel. There are different kinds of LSD (torque, gear). The factory kind is uses a clutch/torque system that is not the best. It will were out about after 50,000 give or take. After that time you can replace the clutch pads like you would change a break pad. It requires a bit more maintenance in the fact that you have to put a special axle lubricant additive in the differential (the big ass thing in the middle of the axle). This additive change will remove some of the clutch bits that have accumulated in there. I'm not sure how often you do this. The factory option LSD is always working though you won't notice it's there. There are better systems out there aftermarket like the Eaton Detroit Truetrac. It's my understanding that this is a gear based system that doesn't wear out. It's about $500 plus labor. The factory option is about $250.

LSD vs LOCKERS - The factory Rubi lockers are engaged by hitting a button. They only work when going under 25mph and in 4-low. Thus if your driving down the road on a slick surface the LSD would be an advantage over the lockers which wouldn't be engaged and would require the more reactive BLD to kick in. That said if you got stuck the Locker would be able to pull your ass out buy locking the wheels. The LSD probably will get worn out way faster if you actually wheel your jeep a lot.

My advice would be to get it if you can. If you don't have LSD I wouldn't trip.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:20 PM
JK Newbie

Skip the factory LSD and buy a truetrack (or even better a selectable locker). In my experience the traklock isn't worth it.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:30 PM
JK Newbie

I just bought my first jeep, I jacked it up and spun a tire, the other does not spin either direction.what does this mean?
Old 10-20-2011, 02:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BeenMachine
I just bought my first jeep, I jacked it up and spun a tire, the other does not spin either direction.what does this mean?
Means no lsd.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

What kind of rear end is it then? Open diff?
Old 10-20-2011, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks, Rooster.

I watched that black and white differential video the other day, it is was very helpful.

It seems like the BLD + LSD should be a decent combo, considering I don't plan on
doing any crazy off-roading (for now at least).

If I find myself missing the LSD I will look into something like the TrueTrac system.

Quick Reply: Limited Slip or not Help!