Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Limited Slip or not Help!

Old 02-13-2010, 05:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Limited Slip or not Help!

Will be placing my order on monday for my new 2010, lease is up soon on 08.

2010 sport 2 dr, Natural Green Pearl with cruise, 3:73 , 32" wheel and suspension pkg, 23 S pkg, freedom top soft top delete.
like the look of half doors but may not be to practical in this snowy climate but where i need help is trying to figure out if there is any benefit to getting the limited slip diff where the jk already has traction and brake control. any one got some input would love to hear the comments and stories.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the LSD is a worthwhile enhancement, especially considering the relative low cost.

A Jeep Engineer commented on his blog about LSD and how it works with traction control:

"BLD works with your Trac-Lok differential. The Trac-Lok is a torque sensing type of limited slip so it will increase the affect of BLD by the torque bias ratio which I believe is 2.7:1 for the Wrangler. BLD will not have to apply as much brake pressure at the spinning wheel."

The LSD will only lock if there is sufficient torque bias between the wheels. You can force this bias by simply pulling up your parking brake lever a few clicks, something I learned from someone on this forum.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 02-13-2010, 07:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was ordering a non-Rubi I would get LSD. You cannot get half doors with hardtop in the US from what I have heard.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:41 AM
JK Super Freak

I was really surprised when the dealer said i could have half doors with the hard top, I would like them but i know i would regret it come next winter.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:11 AM
JK Freak

Yes get LSD....lot better than an open diff.
3 wheels pulling are better than just 2.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:48 AM
JK Freak

without a doubt, get the LSD.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:23 AM
JK Super Freak

any one know how the electronic brake lock works with the limited slip diff?
Old 02-13-2010, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

manual: "Your vehicle is equipped with an advanced electronic brake control system that includes ABS (Anti-Lock Brake System), TCS (Traction Control System), BAS (Brake Assist System), ERM (Electronic Roll Mitigation), and ESP (Electronic Stability Program). All five systems work together to enhance vehicle stability and control in various driving conditions, and are commonly referred to as ESP."

Part of the BAS is the BLD (Brake Locking Differential) when the system senses a tire slipping it will apply partial brake to said slipping tire to assist the differential transferring power to a tire with hopefully more traction under foot. A great system in conjuntion with a limited slip diff. It is not a locker, but definately a traction aid.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
manual: "Your vehicle is equipped with an advanced electronic brake control system that includes ABS (Anti-Lock Brake System), TCS (Traction Control System), BAS (Brake Assist System), ERM (Electronic Roll Mitigation), and ESP (Electronic Stability Program). All five systems work together to enhance vehicle stability and control in various driving conditions, and are commonly referred to as ESP."

Part of the BAS is the BLD (Brake Locking Differential) when the system senses a tire slipping it will apply partial brake to said slipping tire to assist the differential transferring power to a tire with hopefully more traction under foot. A great system in conjuntion with a limited slip diff. It is not a locker, but definately a traction aid.
The BLD is the electronic version of an LSD. But by having an LSD it will save on rear brake pads! Pretty sure the traction is the same whether your have BLD or LSD ... or both ...
Old 02-13-2010, 04:54 PM
JK Junkie

I believe the LSD option is ~$300. It's going to cost you a lot more later to add something equivalent or better.

Get it.

Quick Reply: Limited Slip or not Help!