Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Lift and wheel spacer advice?

Old 05-09-2020, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift and wheel spacer advice?

Hey guys, I have a 2012 Wrangler JK Unlimited Sport and was looking for some advice on lifts and wheel spacers.

I am looking to get roughly 2” suspension lift and a 1” to 1.5” body lift. Should I go with the 2” Rancho RS5000 suspension lift or should I go with 2” spacers? Am I going to need any geometry brackets or anything additional to prevent screwing up anything?

And thinking of getting some body lift somewhere between 1” to 1.5”, just for that added height, not sure which would change too much or not.

And lastly I was thinking about getting 2” wheel spacers to extend my tires out a bit more, I bought it with 33’s on it with stock suspension so it’s rubbing when I make tight turns/U-turns. Any issues with adding those?

Sorry, lots of questions, appreciate any and all tips/advice/recommendations. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2020, 04:57 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Unless you plan to add a bunch of weight, a decent 2-2.5" budget boost (spacer lift) will be fine. Later on down the road you can add a body lift if you decide you just have to have that little extra wheel well clearance. And no, a body lift doe not affect the angles like adding more suspension height does.

Caster correction will be a judgement call on your part. As you lift higher, the front axle rotates and the caster gets progressively lower (the steering gets progressively more flighty). At what point 'you' decide you need to correct it will be your call, drive it with the lift and see what you think of the steering. Also take a look at the axles from the front/back, as they will move further off-center to one side with lift height. Some don't mind a little offset, other do.

1.5" wheel adapters will be fine. The general recommendation is around 4.5" backspace for 35x12.50's. Your stock rims should be 6.25", minus the 1.5" and you end up at 4.75". No real need to go out further than you need to. The issue is that it is another set of bolts to keep track of, and remove if you need to get to the brakes/shafts/whatever. As long as you get a decent set, install them correctly, and remember that they are there, it shouldn't be any worse than an equivalent backspaced rim.

Last edited by nthinuf; 05-09-2020 at 05:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Lift and wheel spacer advice?