Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

lift and tires or bumpers and winch

Old 09-12-2010, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steelzeppelin
seems like the canadiens really like the bumper and winch idea
That's because we (Canadaiens) driving through snow storms daily for long 6 month hard-winter, and no rig is immune against been stuck, so-
lift and big wheels worth nothing when you get stuck, and when you do, the steel bumper and a winch suddenly make a hole lot of sense!

For me, a winch is like a silent promise: "no matter what, I will make sure you will be back on the trail/home in no time, that's my job!"
Old 09-12-2010, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by A.R.X-D
That's because we (Canadaiens) driving through snow storms daily for long 6 month hard-winter, and no rig is immune against been stuck, so-
lift and big wheels worth nothing when you get stuck, and when you do, the steel bumper and a winch suddenly make a hole lot of sense!

For me, a winch is like a silent promise: "no matter what, I will make sure you will be back on the trail/home in no time, that's my job!"
Since i just moved to denver from south carolina, that is what i was worried about (should have posted that). getting stuck on some of the mountain passes throughout the winter around the state worry me
Old 09-12-2010, 10:22 AM
JK Freak

winch and bumper here too.
1. winch and bumper don't void any warranty
2. As my Dad always say: make sure you can get out, before you engage.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Lift and Tires!!
Old 09-12-2010, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I choose the most economical way, just winch! which I mounted to the stock bumper.
I off road a lot and I get tons of snow in the winter and my stock tires do great.
But having the winch is like having insurance, what if?.....
Old 09-12-2010, 07:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steelzeppelin
Since i just moved to denver from south carolina, that is what i was worried about (should have posted that). getting stuck on some of the mountain passes throughout the winter around the state worry me
Bingo! Big tires are useless when you're bellied out in 2 feet of snow. The winch will slid you across the snow to a spot where the smaller tires can get traction just as good as big monsters.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harbourone
Bingo! Big tires are useless when you're bellied out in 2 feet of snow. The winch will slid you across the snow to a spot where the smaller tires can get traction just as good as big monsters.
Hey steelzeppelin!
That is the third Canadian that chose the winch on top of a lift and bigger tires
Don't be tempted by the look of the big tires and lift, they worth nothing when your stuck in the deep snow!
Just imagine yourself holding your head behind the steering wheel when you stuck and thinking:
"Dam, those Canadian where right! now what should I do?!"

Trust us, we have been there, than that!
Old 09-12-2010, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I started with lift and tires.......but no 2 ft snow drifts here in Louisiana. All we get is melted snow.......and lots of it!! Good luck with which ever you choose to go with first. Lots of fun either way!!!
Old 09-12-2010, 09:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

on this note.. being a "Maple Leaf" as well LOL.. If you want to buy a winch and buy it once.. which do you recommend?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nobody has said anything about the weight of the bumper/winch combo on the front keeping the rest stock. seems like it would be pretty heavy.

Quick Reply: lift and tires or bumpers and winch