Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

lift and tires or bumpers and winch

Old 09-11-2010, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lift and tires or bumpers and winch

which should i do first? I have saved up enough cash where i can do one or the other
Old 09-11-2010, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

Lift & Tires. It'll change the whole look and increase your capabilities immediately. Of course, bigger tires and a lift are no substitute for knowledge and experience...
Old 09-11-2010, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

The lift and the tires will get you out of trouble. The Winch and bumpers without a lift and tires, will guaranty that you will need a winch, If you know what I mean.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went with the bumpers and winch first..... Should have done the lift and tires
Old 09-11-2010, 05:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Arrow

Bumpers and winch. People don't realize just how capable these rigs are stock. This will also allow you to wheel without the worry of being stranded and allow you to make a more informed decision about how big you want to go in tires and lift.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Harbourone
Bumpers and winch. People don't realize just how capable these rigs are stock. This will also allow you to wheel without the worry of being stranded and allow you to make a more informed decision about how big you want to go in tires and lift.
X 2!!!

The wranglers are extremely capable machines!
The steel bumper and a winch will keep you safer and make sure you will never get stuck!
IMOP, a winch is more practical than a lift and big wheels + you can help other on the trail and save the day...

Besides - What is a Jeep without a winch?!
Old 09-11-2010, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

seems like the canadiens really like the bumper and winch idea
Old 09-11-2010, 07:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you wheel with other people often, lift/tires. If not, bumper/winch.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lift and tires!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:32 PM
JK Newbie

So I'm brand new to rock crawling. I'm also pretty new to driving a manual. So to jump off the deep end feet first I took my bone stock 2dr rubicon to the following trails in one weekend:

Strawberry Pass
Deer Valley
Slickrock

The only time I had trouble and needed to be winched over something was the end of slickrock on the ladder. Even then if I had more experience I probably could have made it up just fine.

Now, I think for my area 35s open up some harder trails and make some of the water crossing a little less wet. While 37s make life even easier. However, as you lift your Jeep you will have to take more risk to find challenging lines.

All of that being said. I am currently looking to replace my bumpers before I lift my vehicle. Currently my front-bumper has a giant dent in the passenger "wing" from when I slipped off a rock and slid into a tree.

Although at the end of the day if you are into the sport you'll end up doing both.

Quick Reply: lift and tires or bumpers and winch