Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

lifetime warranty?

Old 03-04-2008, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifetime warranty?

I've read here that "off road" use voids the lifetime powertrain warranty.

So, what is considered "off road"??? A logging road? A cat trail? What?
Old 03-04-2008, 10:08 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever the stealership want's it to be to....just to void warranty!

I don't have a clue what off-road would mean in terms of warranty. My guess any unpaved road or trail would fall under the definition of off-road. But like N2rock stated....some dealerships may accept all forms of off-road/trail conditions since it's a jeep.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:21 AM
JK Super Freak

The unpaved private road leading to my driveway can be considered off-road. Basically when it comes to this or any other warrenty it all boils down to the dealer or manufactuer claiming what you did/were doing contributed to the breakdown. In other words crap breaks if you offroad it is expected. If crap breaks offroad they can claim being offroad voids the warrenty. BTW presence of mud, brush or other evidence of offroading is enough to cause this so a good idea before heading to the dealer is to thoroughly wash your jeep.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by only_in_my_jeep
BTW presence of mud, brush or other evidence of offroading is enough to cause this so a good idea before heading to the dealer is to thoroughly wash your jeep.
Good Call!!!!
Old 03-04-2008, 04:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by only_in_my_jeep
BTW presence of mud, brush or other evidence of offroading is enough to cause this so a good idea before heading to the dealer is to thoroughly wash your jeep.
Unfortunately, i learned it the hard way. Spent 1 month fighting with dealer and Chrysler, then another 2 weeks to get the parts. But hey, it was worth it, Chrysler paid for new clutch kit, and labor, otherwise i would have to pay $1200+tax. I actually just got my Jeep back last week. The car smelled like ass from all the dry water and dirt on my carpet when got it back. And when i turned on the heater, it smelled like forest fire made from pine trees. lol
Old 03-04-2008, 08:45 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks...it's been nice knowing you guys. I think I just decided to NOT buy a Jeep...Might as well buy a Lexus sedan if I have to stay on pavement in order to be sure the warranty will be honored...
Old 03-04-2008, 09:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by N2rock
I think it is more of a case of some dealers will do anything to deny warranty work.
I disagree

The stealerships love factory free money, infact they will waist your vehicle for that extra cash.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pwd72s
Thanks...it's been nice knowing you guys. I think I just decided to NOT buy a Jeep...Might as well buy a Lexus sedan if I have to stay on pavement in order to be sure the warranty will be honored...
Have a good one
Old 03-05-2008, 10:02 AM
JK Newbie

Okay, I'm back! Calmer now. Still wanting to learn more, but not as committed as I once was.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:18 AM
JK Freak

If youre worried about it.. call the dealership before hand, and get it in writing that off-roading is considered normal use for a Jeep Wrangler.

I've already spoken to my dealerships warranty guy.

One thing to consider.. the warranty folks are usually looking out for us.. not the company. In theory. I know the one that works for the Chrysler I bought my Jeep at is that way.. which is great.

Quick Reply: lifetime warranty?