Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

lifetime powertrain warranty and lift

Old 02-24-2009, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question lifetime powertrain warranty and lift

I went to get my first oil change the other day at the local Jeep dealership and had the opportunity to ask the service manager how much a RE LA kit would cost to install if bought through them. That's when he proceeded to tell me that any supension modification would void out the lifetime powertrain warranty, event if Jeep installed them. This doesn't make any sense. I've seen new jeeps in the show room with factory 4" lifts and 35's. Does anyone know the truth to any of this? I understand having to pay for repairs caused by the lift, but voiding it out all together makes no sense to me.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

I specifically asked that question, when I bought my Jeep. I was told that any changes not done by an authorized Chrysler installer, would only void the connected parts. Powertrain doesn' t really seem "connected" to me. If you take it to the stealership to install the lift, then they're supposed to warranty the installed parts and honor the original warranty on connected parts. If you have problems, you can always call Chrysler Customer One and ask them. I'm not sure if this is the right number, but give it a shot:

1-800-992-1997 Chrysler Customer Service
Old 02-24-2009, 11:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the Modified Tech FAQ:

Q: Will installing a lift void my warranty?
A: No. In order for your dealer to deny repairs to a break on your Jeep, they would need to prove that the damage was caused specifically by the lift.
For more info, do a quick search for lift AND warranty-- you should come up with plenty of opinions, but the answer above is our official answer.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies. It helps me breathe easier since I don't plan on buying another vehicle until the wheels fall off of this one or my son asks for it as a hand me down (he's 2 right now). Just sounds like the local dealership simply doesn't want to deal with the hassle.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And you'll get the same reply from the stealer when you ask about installing a trans cooler, as every JK auto needs one as the factory equipment is insufficient. They'll install it for you but even when they do it, if your trans ever fails and they can relate the failure to the cooler (which you know they'll try to do), they'll void the trans warranty. I've decided to guarantee my trans warranty by not installing the cooler and let them handle all bills if my trans ever cooks.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When Chrysler goes belly-up your warranty will be void anyway, so why worry about it? Just enjoy your Jeep and mod it the way you want.

Quick Reply: lifetime powertrain warranty and lift