Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The life expectancy of the jk Wrangler

Old 03-30-2012, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The life expectancy of the jk Wrangler

Was thumbing through my quadratec the other day, and it occurred to me...I love my jk and want to know what you guys think, for obvious reasons there isn't much need for it now, but do you think we will see full floor pans, frame rails, replacement rear tubs, and similar parts they offer now to basically rebuild an entire older model Wranglers in the future? Will we see complete 3.8 motors for replacement like they do with the 4.0l and previous generations? I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem seeing as how many of us there are that love are jk's, I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that my beloved Jeep will be around for the next 20 years...assuming the zombie apocalypse doesn't get us all first! Any thoughts?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I thought about the same thing I'm hoping a company will offer inexpensive computers, that is my biggest worry about owning a jk for the long term. It's a jeep and as the used jks gets a little cheaper to buy more people will mod and wheel them and their is hundreds of thousands of jks out there the aftermarket will be there to make money for sure by then maybe will all be zombies.....
Old 03-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I definitely think we will see a lot of 3.8's needing replaced...
Old 03-30-2012, 11:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm worried about my frame, above all else. Living in the snow-belt, I have to get out and hit it with rustoleum once a year. I was under the Jeep the other day, and noted that I'm falling behind. Nervous it's going to rust from the inside out, or I'm going to miss a crucial area.

Still, not bad for close for a 5 year old vehicle with over 100k on it.

If not the frame, next in line would be the motor. If I keep it that long, I'd expect 300K out of my 3.8. Currently at 115K or so.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grandpa jeep
I thought about the same thing I'm hoping a company will offer inexpensive computers, that is my biggest worry about owning a jk for the long term. It's a jeep and as the used jks gets a little cheaper to buy more people will mod and wheel them and their is hundreds of thousands of jks out there the aftermarket will be there to make money for sure by then maybe will all be zombies.....
Solo Electronics offers cheap computers. They are based in Miami but ship anywhere. They even come already flashed with Vin and Mileage.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:54 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I definitely think we will see a lot of 3.8's needing replaced...

True... True...
Old 03-31-2012, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default JK life expectancy

I have never bought an extended warranty / service contract for a vehicle; I bought the lifetime max care for my 2010 Wrangler, so I definitely plan to drive it for 20+ years.
My wife's 07 Grand Caravan has the 3.8 and with 96,000 miles still runs great, other than using about quart & 1/2 of oil every 3,000 (which it's done for a long time).
Old 03-31-2012, 05:14 AM
JK Super Freak

As long as they last 2 yrs i'll be happy. I have never kept a JK more thaan 2 yrs. new 12 mall crawler on order now, that will keep me going for a bit.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:34 AM
JK Freak

I kept my last jeep for around 13 years.

this new one has lifetime power train.
I expect them to come correct if anything happens.
I plan on never selling this one.

Quick Reply: The life expectancy of the jk Wrangler