Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Let's talk the new interior 2011+

Old 10-12-2011, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Espo78
Can someone elaborate on some of the interior features? I've done some research but some things just aren't mentioned well enough on the Jeep site. I've read that they come with a power inverter and AC power outlet. Is that all trim levels or just the sahara/rubicon? I've read the AC outlet in the back is only there if you have a subwoofer but I've also read about another AC outlet in the front of the center console. I'm not talking about the USB or 12v DC outlet inside the console. I am just trying to verify what I've read online, I don't remember seeing an AC outlet during my test drive but I wasn't looking for one either.

Are there any other cool features that someone may not know about unless you own one?
The power inverter is an option on the sport. I don't think it comes standard on any trim levels but I could be wrong about that. It'd give you an AC outlet on the front part of the center console. There is not an AC outlet in the back, it's a 12v DC outlet, and yes, only if you have the subwoofer. There is a 12v DC plug on the lower part of the dash.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=f2fast4u;2584501]
Originally Posted by armycop;2584442-Rear taligate has metal arm/stop to hold it open (huge plus) /QUOTE

I've had a 2011 and now a 2012 and I didn't know that feature was there. Where is that at?
The arm is attached at the right side of the tailgate (inside). You might not notice it but it holds the tailgate open automatically.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=MoTec;2584917]
Originally Posted by f2fast4u

The arm is attached at the right side of the tailgate (inside). You might not notice it but it holds the tailgate open automatically.
I see that black arm that connects from the middle (up and down) on the inside right side tailgate back around the subwoofer area but thought it was just a torsion arm. With my 35" spare tire, if that's it, it doesn't hold open my tailgate.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

This is my 1st jeep of any kind, and I must say I am loving it!!!.....I have an 11 JKU sport with crank windows, and when the window is all the way down my knee hits it. It's not that big of a deal but I also haven't gone on any long trips. The only other thing I can think of is I feel like i'm sitting on top of all the controls on the dash. I have the seat all the way back and tilted back and I think I could turn the heater controls with my elbow! maybe i'm just not used to owning a jeep!!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deeeznutz32
This is my 1st jeep of any kind, and I must say I am loving it!!!.....I have an 11 JKU sport with crank windows, and when the window is all the way down my knee hits it. It's not that big of a deal but I also haven't gone on any long trips. The only other thing I can think of is I feel like i'm sitting on top of all the controls on the dash. I have the seat all the way back and tilted back and I think I could turn the heater controls with my elbow! maybe i'm just not used to owning a jeep!!
My seat is adjustable up and down on the drivers side.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine's a bit more plain, but I like it A LOT more than 07-10...

My only gripe is that the windshield crank pokes my leg and gets annoying during long trips.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by WXman
The new interior is what finally sold me on the JK. The 07-10 interior looks cheap to me, very boring and too many straight lines. Just looks like the lowest-end interior that a designer could possibly muster up in his brain. The new interior isn't perfect, but at least it makes the JK look like a 21st century vehicle finally.

Complaints I have:

Cigarette lighter is in the way of my knees. Sometimes my knee hits it and activates it.

Steering wheel buttons SUCK. Volume for radio on the back is too touchy, and the reset button for dash instruments is too close to your hands when driving and you accidentally hit reset when you don't want to. Buttons need to be moved.

HVAC vents are too close to the steering wheel, and these are also accidentally hit and moved all the time. Ugh.

Manual window cranks are too close to my knees and they are uncomfortable on long drives.

Gate shifter on the auto. trans sucks and feels very clunky.

Seats are too narrow in my opinion. I'm a very average sized guy, but my right hip hurts like hell after riding in this thing for a while.

Center position in second row seating is "hollow" and has ZERO support under the cushion. Person sitting there reports that it feels like sitting in a hammock. What a joke.

Gosh, I could go on all day. Sure, it's a Wrangler. It's not supposed to be a Cadillac. But they could have at least put some actual real world thought and testing into this stuff before releasing it to the public and charging $30k for it.
You test drove it first before buying it right? So, in effect, you consciously chose to live with these issues. It's a really small vehicle if you think about it - I can reach over and crank my passenger window down while driving. Not many vehicles that have such a cramped interior. That being said, not sure how else you wanted everything to be packaged
Old 10-12-2011, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I must admit I am liking my Green interior with black plastic... you could get black as an option too if you ordered an anniversary (mine came off the lot)

Old 10-12-2011, 12:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I miss from my 2010 is the two 12v outlets on the dash. On long trips I used one for the radar detector and the other one for the GPS. I will find a way to replace that clip thing with another outlet on my new 2012.

I have Uconnect and love it.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

the doors have a nice arm rest also which is nice, now i don't have to have the window down to have an arm rest. I do kind of hate how the 12v outlet on the dash is only on with the key turned on.

Quick Reply: Let's talk the new interior 2011+